Wounded and broken - signs of life - what to do?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Canadrew
Location info: 0

Wounded and broken - signs of life - what to do?

Post by Canadrew »

Hello Bambooers,

I find myself fortunate in getting a 25 gallon pot with some remnants of bamboo in it. The former owner left this pot for dead - neglected and unloved - after cutting the dying canes off two falls ago. It is so rootbound that the pot is bulging - some of the canes have rotted through but there are signs of life! three small shoots have emerged in recent days. But I am torn as to what to do?

Because it is so rootbound, I want to do some rhizome trimming to give it some room to breathe - but I don't want to disturb the shoot . Should I let it grow this season and trim it in the fall? Or just go for it?

Note - This is zone 9. We've had a good fake-spring, but the cold is coming back next week.

Looking forward to this one healing - it's a lovely golden cane/green stripe. A little too short to give it a full identification.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-18 170320.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 170309.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 170253.png
Tarzanus

Re: Wounded and broken - signs of life - what to do?

Post by Tarzanus »

It could be Phyllostachys autesulcata 'Spectabilis'. If culms are glabrous, it could be Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis'. There are other Phyllos looking similar or identical, but at this stage, it's impossible to id it. Thicker culm texture could be the best bet to tell, but it is most likely worn out too much anyway.

It is most likely rootbound, but if the larger culms have rotted it must have happened due to poor drainage. Removing old damaged rhizomes would be an option, but if it got seriously damaged, you won't see any real upsize for a while. The pot seems strange, does it even have drainage holes on the bottom? It's (the container)also way too small for a Phyllostachys. When Phyllo gets root-bound, it needs constant watering and fertigation, or else it starts turning chlorotic, shows drought stress and eventually declines if not properly root pruned . The smaller the container, the harder it is to keep it happy.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

That's a job for a reciprocating saw! If you do it now it might be easier to avoid damaging those shoots, as they get taller it becomes easier to break them. If you do it later I'd wait until those are fully leafed out and the culms hard enough that a pressed thumbnail does not leave a mark. Either way I'd carefully shave away much of the old root mass and repot.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Tarzanus wrote:It could be Phyllostachys autesulcata 'Spectabilis'. If culms are glabrous, it could be Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis'. There are other Phyllos looking similar or identical, but at this stage, it's impossible to id it. Thicker culm texture could be the best bet to tell, but it is most likely worn out too much anyway.

It is most likely rootbound, but if the larger culms have rotted it must have happened due to poor drainage. Removing old damaged rhizomes would be an option, but if it got seriously damaged, you won't see any real upsize for a while. The pot seems strange, does it even have drainage holes on the bottom? It's (the container)also way too small for a Phyllostachys. When Phyllo gets root-bound, it needs constant watering and fertigation, or else it starts turning chlorotic, shows drought stress and eventually declines if not properly root pruned . The smaller the container, the harder it is to keep it happy.
The good-looking canes are glabrous, with a broad green vertical stripe. So I would love to think that it is Castillon - but time will tell. There are 4 large holes drilled into the corners of the tub, but I've added 6 more at the bottom to assist with drainage. I found the tub underneath a large cedar tree, so it wasn't being completely drowned by the Noah-esque level of rain we got here this winter.

I have a large, empty planter (6x2.5) that I might move it into to give it the best chance of survival and upsizing. Plus some fertilizer and sufficient moisture should help it along. I'll spend the next couple days cleaning it up and removing more dead/rotten canes roots.