Shoot thread

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

webgator
Location info: 0

Re: Shoot thread

Post by webgator »

My Bambusa chungii Barbellata...largest shoot I've seen in the 10+ years growing this...

Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I bought one about the same time I bought 3 straight Chungii and the Barbie produced 2"+ shoots in year 2 and it threw about a dozen of them before I moved. I always suspected it was not Barbie it was so much larger than the straight form. It's really a great bamboo, I bet yours keeps em coming at that size.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ZZZ

Post by ZZZ »

While my @5-year-old Chungii, B Emeiensis Flav, and D Minor Amoenus are all really taking off this year with a dozen new shoots each, I'm surprised to find one week from August now that my B Lako and B Emeiensis Viridiflavus still show no signs of any new shoots at all this season. These two specimens are @20 ft tall: the Lako has 20-25 culms and the Viridiflavus has 12-15. We had a late tropical storm back in November that caused the worst flooding in the area in 50 years; the salt water didn't quite breach my raised-bed bamboo but it came close. The Lako--which of course is very sensitive to salt spray--wasn't looking great for a few months, but once it began popping with green leaves back in March, I figured all was well.

Could these two bamboos still be feeling the effects of the storm from 8-9 months ago? Looking at them, they appear vibrant and healthy. Seems really odd to have no new culms sprouting up by this late juncture in the season.
needmore

Post by needmore »

No experience with salt inundation here but it seems like you’d see signs of distress if that was an issue.
ZZZ

Post by ZZZ »

Thanks Brad--

Just went and had a look after the heavy rain this morning, and no sign of new shoots yet from the aforementioned B Lako and B Emeiensis. It will be August in 4 days.

Very weird.
needmore

Post by needmore »

I was expecting mine to push shooting back toward fall once they matured some and got out of this always shooting phase but it sounds like yours have not done that? As I understand it they generally held off in their origin climate until late summer early fall rainy season so maybe they are somewhat wired toward that.

Not sure I buy what I just typed but that was the impression I had but it sounds like yours have not done so...maybe more consistent rains trump ancient history?
webgator

Post by webgator »

Must just be something with those two bamboos, as neither my Lako and Viridiflavus have any new shoots popping either. My Mutabilis also has no new shoots yet.... :|
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
webgator

Post by webgator »

New Lako shoot, appears to be about two inches :D

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
needmore

Post by needmore »

Just waiting for August I guess!
webgator

Post by webgator »

Apparently :wink:

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
ZZZ

Post by ZZZ »

I noted my first--and to this point only--new Lako shoot about two weeks ago as well. Weird how we both have the same experience.

Still nothing new this year from my Emeiensis V, however. I've never had a bamboo go an entire summer with no new shoots like this.