1 Year Transplant - 6 Bamboos

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bayarea41
Location info: 0

1 Year Transplant - 6 Bamboos

Post by bayarea41 »

A year ago this week, some "stranger" online was giving away all his bamboo for free, so I picked up several varieties & sizes, as much as I could fit.

Bambusa nana (Thai Beauty)
Himalayacalamus falconeri (Damarapa)
Phyllostachys aureosulcata (Spectabilis)
Phyllostachys Vivax 'Aureocaulis' (Green Stripe Vivax)
Alphonse Karr
Oldhamii

All of them. (Had to blur some faces out there)

Left is July 1st, 2020. Right is July 2021. Himalayacalamus falconeri (Damarapa). This is the only one that did not survive, because we accidentally split it in half when digging it out of the ground. Don't think it had enough root mass left over. It was kept in the shade for the first few months and strongly watered, but no luck. However I continued to water it for the past year, so possible some new growth comes up in the late summer soon, will see.

Bambusa nana (Thai Beauty). No new canes, but more branches and leaves. Still quite small. Left is July 1st, 2020. Right is July 2021

Oldhamii. It doubled in size and upgraded the pot. Bottom right is Bambusa 'feline', rare collector species.
Left is July 1st, 2020. Right is July 2021

Spectabilis. Only a couple months apart right before canes came up. Left-March, 2021; Right-July 2021.

Alphonse Karr. Several new skinnier canes have come up. Left-July 1st, 2020; Right-July 2021

Alphonse Karr. That's a ruler in the middle, not a cane. Left-July 1st, 2020; Right-July 2021

Vivax. It lost most of it's leaves the first few weeks and struggled, but made it. I initially had a large wood rectangle planter box to put it in, but we ended up using it for something else, so I had to resort to the pot. Very crooked growth unfortunately, probably would straighten out in the ground w/ new canes. Left-July 1st, 2020; Right-July 2021

Vivax again, closer up.
Last edited by bayarea41 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: 1 Year Transplant - 6 Bamboos

Post by needmore »

I've been wondering how you did with those plants. Nice work, too bad we destroyed the Damarapa. I hope that the B nana gets going, given that I almost threw it away it looks pretty darn good! My B nana here is blowing my mind with how fast it is sizing up and producing new canes quite regularly, I hope that one gets going.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bayarea41

Post by bayarea41 »

needmore wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 am I've been wondering how you did with those plants. Nice work, too bad we destroyed the Damarapa. I hope that the B nana gets going, given that I almost threw it away it looks pretty darn good! My B nana here is blowing my mind with how fast it is sizing up and producing new canes quite regularly, I hope that one gets going.
Oh nice. I imagine Hawaii weather is all-year growth season for it. I'm looking forward to it getting bigger.

(Wonder how the new owners fared with all your other bamboo.)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

The person I sold to in Oct sold it again in March for a nice profit and that person has contacted me. I advised them to kill off all but a few of the clumping forms, seeing her photos was painful, lots of drought stressed plants.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com