Skyscraper Bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Delbenes
Location info: 0

Skyscraper Bamboo

Post by Delbenes »

Two skyscrapers in downtown Chicago have some lofty bamboo. The Donnelly Building at 77 W. Wacker, and the Hyatt Center at 71 S. Wacker.
It's good to see in Chicago you can enjoy work in a bamboo grove!
Image[/img]
The shoot is up...
and up. Any ID?
A long shot of half the lobby, open to the public, with what appears to be 30-40 foot bamboo? This bamboo has been shooting here for at least four years, and the landscapers have to top them off.
Below is a shot of the Hyatt Center lobby, which is closed to the public, though the plantings can be easily seen through the sidewalk windows.
Eastlandia

RE: Skyscraper Bamboo

Post by Eastlandia »

Good to see the Donnelly lobby again, I took pictures when I was there as well, but I think yours are worth better than mine with the shoots. I was trying to identify it myself... I try to imagine that landscaping companies couldnt get their hands on rare species so I really resort to just a few species. Either Vivax, Nigra "Henon" or Bambusoides. After looking at that shoot Its not Henon. It either could be Vivax or Bambusoides. My vote is the Japanese Timber (Bambusoides) because that seems common in commercial sites. (such as the airport.) -Eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

That is most defenently P.Bambusoides if i 've ever seen it! Look at the shoot colouration, and the culm straightness. Vivax doesn't typically have this shoot colouration, nor does it grow very straight. Also P.Vivax tends to be quite a bit more yellow on the culms than bambusoides.

I also think I have seen this planting on endangered species website about P.Bambusoides plantings.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Somebody's gonna have some 'splainin to do when those rhizomes start pushing up marble floor slabs. :lol:
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: RE: Skyscraper Bamboo

Post by CJW »

hoe_NC wrote:Somebody's gonna have some 'splainin to do when those rhizomes start pushing up marble floor slabs. :lol:
That isn't a joke as it could happen. I have seen Bambusoides shoots lift a manhole cover off 20ft in the air and rip up the blacktop of a road. This happend in Osaka. The City officials ripped out a mat of 2.5-3" dia Rhizomes using a tonka bobcat from 1ft below the road face.
If there is food for the bamboo, the Rhizomes will sense it and run to it. It'll crack rock through expansion, puncture PVC with ease, and lift manhole covers.
I'd say be careful where you plant it.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

CJW wrote:
hoe_NC wrote:Somebody's gonna have some 'splainin to do when those rhizomes start pushing up marble floor slabs. :lol:
That isn't a joke as it could happen. I have seen Bambusoides shoots lift a manhole cover off 20ft in the air and rip up the blacktop of a road. This happend in Osaka. The City officials ripped out a mat of 2.5-3" dia Rhizomes using a tonka bobcat from 1ft below the road face.
If there is food for the bamboo, the Rhizomes will sense it and run to it. It'll crack rock through expansion, puncture PVC with ease, and lift manhole covers.
I'd say be careful where you plant it.
I guess I'm going to have to break out my asphalt road busting bamboo pictures:

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
serenityinbamboo

Post by serenityinbamboo »

But the beauty is worth the risk :!: :wink:
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

serenityinbamboo wrote:But the beauty is worth the risk :!: :wink:
I'll say hell ya @!
Impaler

Post by Impaler »

But the beauty is worth the risk
I'll say hell ya @!
Ditto!!
Dan
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Would be nice to see even a dwarf bamboo in a lobby around here......

Notice in picture 1 that Roy posted the grass that is growing behind the bamboo & also on the far left, you can see that the asphalt is applied thicker. I'm guessing that where the bamboo is in this photo is only an inch or so thick. Now if it continued to grow about 18 feet and popped up in the middle of the road we would have a problem.

Would be nice to see even a dwarf bamboo in a lobby around here
Rick