Asking Help to identify this bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rASO
Location info: 0

Asking Help to identify this bamboo

Post by rASO »

Hello,
I'm renting a little portion of land where to place my tomatoes production this year and i've found this little bamboo plantation. The owner doesn't know when they have been planted and what kind of bamboo it is. I've started a Phyllostachys Edulis nursery last year and when i've found this bamboo so thick (the biggest is more than 9cm thick) i was really glad, but i need help for the identification. I'm in Italy in the central area near the Adriatic coast. :D
Thank you
Mattia
Attachments
IMG_9696.JPG
IMG_9696.JPG (33.59 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
IMG_9694.JPG
IMG_9694.JPG (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
IMG_9690.JPG
IMG_9690.JPG (22.19 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
dependable

Re: Asking Help to identify this bamboo

Post by dependable »

Another green phyllo, still, the white ring should be a clue. You might have to wait and get pictures of new shoots for a good guess on ID.
Tarzanus

Re: Asking Help to identify this bamboo

Post by Tarzanus »

I'd guess Phyllostachys viridiglaucescens.

Phyllostachys viridiglaucescens is supposed to be quite common in Europe. Phyllostachys aurea is extremely common as well. There seems to be something yellow on the photos, if older culms are getting yellow-ish (not the bright yellow aurea color) it could be viridiglaucescens. Leaves seem to be darker green than aurea leaves.

Additional questions would be, do the lower laying internodes look congested, deformed or much shorter than internodes above?
Do you have a photo of it's shoots?