P. Henon?

Moderator: needmore

MikeNY
Location info: 0

P. Henon?

Post by MikeNY »

I dug this bamboo out of a grove in DC about 3 years back. The woman claimed it was Henon. It has overwintered here in Zone 6 Rochester NY much better than i expected. This has me wondering if it is in fact not Henon! I don't have much experience with Henon, but to me these shoots look a little like Nuda, which would explain the hardiness. Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1113.jpg
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: P. Henon?

Post by Alan_L »

I don't grow P. nuda, but those shoots look a lot like P. bissetii to me. I'm not great at this sort of thing though.
MikeNY

Post by MikeNY »

I don’t think she had any Bissetii at her house. She was only growing about 7 varieties. I remember that she did have nuda as well as Henon. I know she originally purchased them from Dave Andrews so I’m assuming the IDs were correct. You never know tho! I appreciate the input!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I think that you are correct to suspect it is not Henon. New Henon culms should be powdery, almost fuzzy with a white ring at the node and overall not 'glossy' looking; new Nuda culms will also have some powder but less, they look smoky dark with a white ring at the node and glossy in parts of the internodes. Not a very scientific description here.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
springtimeshoots

Post by springtimeshoots »

I'd say it isn't Henon going by those new shoots.