Help With Bamboo ID

Moderator: needmore

markinvenice
Location info: 0

Help With Bamboo ID

Post by markinvenice »

Hello. I would most appreciate some assistance in identifying the bamboo in the photos. This stand of bamboo has been here for many years so it is has reached full height maturity. If additional photos of a more specific feature are needed for proper identification, please let me know. Thanks so much!
Attachments
Bamboo_3.jpg
Bamboo_2.jpg
Bamboo_1.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Help With Bamboo ID

Post by needmore »

Interesting...it looks to me like Semiarundinaria fastuosa if it is a running bamboo and it seems like it might be, but it also looks like it could be a form of Bambusa textilis which is a clumping bamboo. I doubt that it is the Bambusa as that would have required multiple original divisions to get a row like that but it sure makes me think of it.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

I would think that if it were Temple the culms would be darker after a year and, any type of Semiarundinria would have run like mad into the lawn being that size. Being in Venice it could be any number of Bambusa species. I saw many Bambusa like that living in San Diego and LA and they are far more common. They are clumpers, but they expand pretty fast in the heat.
Happy trails...
markinvenice

Post by markinvenice »

Many thanks for the input. I too am suspecting that it is a type of Bambusa. I’m familiar with Textilis. I have a narrow planter that separates my home from the building next door. It previously had Textilis (tall version). It was less than ideal for height (30+ feet) and the canes clacked against my home during strong winds, obviously less than ideal during sleeping hours. Gracilis, a more compact version of Textilis, is fairly common in local LA nurseries. So perhaps it's that or maybe “RG Dwarf”, an even more compact version. I don't recall ever encountering "RG Dwarf", so it may be rare. The bamboo in my photos (small caned, very upright) seems well suited for my particular situation...hence my inquiry. Again, thanks to you both for weighing in. You've been very helpful.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I have the 'Scranton' form which I obtained because photos of it look short branched like in your photos, mine is too small to say yet.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com