Golden Identification - Spectabilis? P. Aureosulcata?

Moderator: needmore

Canadrew
Location info: 0

Golden Identification - Spectabilis? P. Aureosulcata?

Post by Canadrew »

Happy New Year Bamboo-ers!

I have finally replanted some divisions I got from a neighbour into the "forever homes" (Yes, those are bathtubs, but covered in landscape cloth so they're "classy" :) ). They had awesome rhizome growth and were a huge struggle to get them out of their pots!

I never really identified them - mostly because they're very pretty and will be a great addition.

Photos really tell the whole story, straight vertical canes with a couple of minor kinks in them. Pure yellow except for one thin green stripe on one cane. The new shoot leaves (aren't they adorably tiny!) have thin yellow stripes down the length of the leaf.
The owner of the grove didn't have many really thick canes - there are less than 1", but about 15" tall. Small leaves.

Vancouver Island, Zone 9.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-04 163638.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 163547.png
Screenshot 2021-01-04 163503.png
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Golden Identification - Spectabilis? P. Aureosulcata?

Post by needmore »

Most likely Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'. If the new culms are yellow at sheath fall and young culms are rough on the up rub then that's it. If they are smooth on the up rub and yellow at sheath fall then you would likely have a form of Phy bambusoides. If they start out green and slowly turn yellow then other candidates surface.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

Thanks! That's what I thought too - but the lack of green stripe on the culm threw me off. It is rough going in one direction (I forget which and it's pouring rain outside now lol). Really looking forward to the spring for the new shoots!
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I forgot to throw in Phy aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis', it would not have the green sulcus, only some random green stripes on some culms but would fit with the rough, sounds like that may be it since you do not see a green sulcus.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Agree with Brad and to me 'Aureocaulis' is a bit deeper, richer yellow/gold than 'Spectabilis' is. The culms in your photos look like they have that deeper, richer color but could just be exposure, soil, etc.
Canadrew

Post by Canadrew »

I will certainly report back when the new shoots emerge in 3-4 months. The lack of green in the sulcus leads me towards aureocaulis as well. There are a couple of plantings of this in my neighbourhood, which I love walking past, and it's probably my favourite of my meager collection.