Profiles in member list

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

kstanwick
Location info: 0
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Profiles in member list

Post by kstanwick »

I was hoping..... obviously not demanding by any means.....but i was looking thru everyones profile in the member list....I know most of you thru GW but was wondering if it would be a good general protocol to fill out a bit more of ones profile. at a glance it would be nice to know where people are from....some people might be touchy on this subject but i like to know who i'm talking to besides a username. For instance i originally thought that big easy jock was some athelete from new orleans and i wasn't sure if i was talking to a man or a woman....This is not in the growing bamboo catagory but i asked bill in a post about a general catagory..... maybe i'm asking too much...just tell me to pipe down...and get back in the grove....lol

anyones thoughts are appreciated.....Thanks in advance...

Kurt
Eric Layton

Location is Helpful

Post by Eric Layton »

kstanwick,
I remember a while back somebody asked about keeping bamboo submerged in water for extended periods of time. That started a raging debate, and boiled down to most tropical bamboo can handle it and most temperate bamboo cannot. Well, the original poster lived in Canada, definately not tropical. The location of the grower can influence the advise given, which may be different depending on where they live (like when to plant new acquisitions). I noticed lkz5ia gave a ton of info on growing conditions in Iowa, I guess that's what you're talking about! But where do we put the information? Under Location? Under Interests? Looks like this is growing into a great site. Thanks to Bill and all the others.
Eric
meat
sw corner of mo zone 6/7 Depends who you ask :)

Post by meat »

thats a pretty resonable request. It is nice to know what zone and state the person posting is from. It makes the information they are providing so much more useful.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Extra writing space in profiles............

Post by Iowaboo »

I was thinking that the profiles need more space to write about stuff, like in gardenweb, some people write paragraphs in their profile.

On the bambooweb.info profile, I simply ran out of space to write things, so I had to cut it short.
meat
sw corner of mo zone 6/7 Depends who you ask :)

Post by meat »

i think the space alotment is just a setting in htis php forum program hes using most likely it is set to default. a way each user can combat that howerver and avoid having to rewrite everythign about themselves on every forum is to create a home page . There are several free webhositing services out there that you can use to do this. Most even have their own tools built in to help you through the process. This make thigs alot easier because it gives you a single repository to add your pictures and info so on . If you have a site why not put the link in your signature. thta way every time you post a link to is is posted as well. I agree however I would like to at the very least see what zone someone is in maybe post it off to the left with their name.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Extra writing space in profiles............

Post by bambooweb »

I made some changes so hopefully I did not break anything. :wink:

Location can now hold 255 characters. Was 100.
Interests is now 'limited' to 65535 characters. Was 255.

If anyone has more suggestions please post them under 'Website Suggestions' so I can keep track of them.

I am trying to get all of my other work done before I go to the ABS conference in Houston. After I get back I should have more time to work on the site
I have a long list of things that I want to add including an e-mail digest from the Forums and the ability to load photos as attachments. I have both of those MODs on my computer and will get them loaded when I have a full day to devote to them.

Bill
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

I liked meat's idea about putting your zone next to your signature if you wanted one. I added mine. I think this site will work out great too. Oh and BTW i happen across the Data location and growth record area of the site. Bill is still working on it and obviously there is no real hurry to get it but that will be a great spot to record one's info about their plants. Brad will have a whole novel if he gets all his varieties recorded...lol I started to enter in info the other day. just to see how it all worked. Thanks bill for all your work.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
chele
MTNs-.Mountain City,Tn 37683 area ,just a mile from NC/19 miles south of VA.- USDA Zone 6 Sunset 36 elavation 2500'-3000' Mountain Top-min temp -2 /..20-40F. average temp-north faceing slope mild summers seldom over 100/ 85-90 a

Re: Profiles in member list

Post by chele »

kstanwick wrote:I was hoping..... obviously not demanding by any means.....but i was looking thru everyones profile in the member list....I know most of you thru GW but was wondering if it would be a good general protocol to fill out a bit more of ones profile. at a glance it would be nice to know where people are from....some people might be touchy on this subject but i like to know who i'm talking to besides a username. For instance i originally thought that big easy jock was some athelete from new orleans and i wasn't sure if i was talking to a man or a woman....This is not in the growing bamboo catagory but i asked bill in a post about a general catagory..... maybe i'm asking too much...just tell me to pipe down...and get back in the grove....lol

anyones thoughts are appreciated.....Thanks in advance...

Kurt

i totally agree with you..its not like we are asking for a fixed gps location.but a location help us and mybe with more info in there we can help you..
group owner of:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo_world

Co-Mod http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo

Stress is when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't fallen asleep yet.

I live in my own little world,but it's okay,they know me there.