PA gaining ground

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

PA gaining ground

Post by rfgpitt »

I'd like to point out that the last two BambooWeb members are from Pennsylvania. (Yellowflower & dan and donna) - welcome & woo hoo!

Does anyone (ABS or otherwise) have some Bamboo 101 materials that I could share with some of the local nurseries/larger landscape contractors? I'd be willing to print a few pages or offer an electronic copy to people willing to learn. If it is gaining popularity around here, then I'd like to try to get people educated up front (and not after 3 years of letting a runner grow without restriction).

Anyone who could help me put together some basic educational materials, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Rick
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: PA gaining ground

Post by bepah »

At the ABS meeting this weekend during the general session, education about bamboo was brought up as a critical need, especially in the area of stopping municipalities from banning the planting of bamboos in their are of influence. This has happened in Marin County, at least, and is being discussed by others.

The movement to get a group together, supported by all chapters with a representative form each was mentioned, but no further action was done, to my knowledge.

Brad, is something going on in this area? That is, some PR collateral to help people appreciate and use bamboo in their landscapes?

Bill, Dan, did you hear anything more than I?

Thanks,
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Yes, I remember the discussion about putting together some educational materials. Educating nurseries and landscapers will probably be much easier than educating local governments. My impression of a number of government officals is that they make decisions based on spin rather than facts, which makes a response dificult to formulate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

There is information on the ABS website such as http://www.americanbamboo.org/GeneralIn ... Intro.html
The PNW chapter also has a number of pamphlets that we pass out at chapter events.

I think the information does need to be better organized so people can find it.

Bill
foxd

Post by foxd »

A lot of the problem is that people confuse Bamboo with Japanese Knotweed and Arundo donax which are major problems in many areas. I have been regularly googling the words invasive bamboo to check for such scare stories. The scare stories I've read about bamboo have all been written about Knotweed and donax.

On the bright side in recent news stories, many places do seem to be getting a clue about the difference between the plants.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
rfgpitt

Basic info about bamboo

Post by rfgpitt »

Dan,
Helpful info - I plan on including info/pictures on some of the bamboo imposters (list).

I will also tread lightly so that governing bodies will get educated and hopefully will not make improper decisions regarding limiting or banning planting (will need ABS contacts - thanks for volunteering :wink: ). I would like to build a case that in most instances shows it is the incorrect stance and should be left to the individual.

Any info on the above imposters (including non-copyrighted pics), intervening of governing bodies (including court cases in which the banning was found unlawful), and or any other info that is a must for the basics is welcome.

info can be sent to rfgpittATgmailDOTcom

Thanks!
Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

I do have a list of plants that get mistaken for bamboo. Not everything on the list is invasive.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... goYQ&gid=2
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I don't see how arundo donax can be more invasive than running bamboo. Does it do something out east that I don't see where I'm at? It tend to be like a clumping bamboo here.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Lance,
I think that arundo donax is on his list because it is commonly mistaken for bamboo.

Thanks foxd
Rick
foxd

Re: RE: PA gaining ground

Post by foxd »

rfgpitt wrote:Lance,
I think that arundo donax is on his list because it is commonly mistaken for bamboo.
It is also listed as an invasive species. While it may behave as a clumper, it can be broken up by flooding and the pieces spread and root. It is described as highly flammable thorughout the year. It increases the probability of wildfires and recovers quickly from those fires. While not as difficult to control as Japanese Knotweed, it is still harder to control than Bamboo.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Must have to do with southern people that plant it along watercourses. I think the world would be near its end if flood breaks apart my arundo donax.

Anyways, do you have a side to side comparison of the two to come to such conclusions that its harder to control than bamboo?
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

[quote="foxd"]I do have a list of plants that get mistaken for bamboo. ...quote]

foxd,

A couple more for your list:

Chamaedorea microspadix - Bamboo Palm or Hardy Bamboo Palm. I have one growing in a pot here in zone 8b that has seen 18°F. It is a zone 8a plant. Some claim it can be grown in Zone 7 but I am guessing that is probably in the ground and perhaps as a die-back perennial.

Muhlenbergia dumosa - Bamboo muhly. This has also taken 18°F in a pot. I jokingly refer to it as my miniature Mexican Weeping. I have it in the shade to avoid it drying out while I am away but it does much better in the sun. It is a zone 8a plant.

Mike near Brenham TX

From Desert-Tropicals site

From Mountain States Wholesale Nursery site
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

Iowaboo wrote:I don't see how arundo donax can be more invasive than running bamboo. ...
Iowaboo,

I expect that reputation comes from a couple of aspects:

1/ It supposedly can spread by seed. Although it is quite common, that does not appear to be a major consideration here. We maybe too dry here during the summer for the seedlings to survive.

2/ Even though the A. d. growing by the roadside gets mowed down once or twice a year it seems to come back to close to its full height every year. Most bamboo with that type of height would end up as only a few inches high, if it even survived, if were mowed every year.

3/ It does not seem to get eaten to any great extent by cattle or horses (maybe by goats?), so it is very noticeable in pastures. I can tell you from experience my bamboo does not run into the pastures and survive.

Mike McG near Brenham TX
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I wish wildlife weren't so brutal on my arundo donax. Had to move it up by the house because rabbits and deer were always eating away at it. So it must be a delicacy as long as its rare and few stems exist. Goats like it too. Well, I like it too, better than my bamboo so far........