Black Raspberry, Red Raspberry, Blackberry

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

Coyote24
Location info: 0

Black Raspberry, Red Raspberry, Blackberry

Post by Coyote24 »

I already looked this up, but still can't figure it out.

First of all whats the difference between Black Raspberry and Blackberry?

Also do the Black Raspberrys, Red Raspberrys, and Blackberrys all taste alike? Or do they each have a distinct individual flavors? If so how would you describe each one?

The reason im asking these questions is because I'm gonna start my own raspberry patch. I'm getting it started with the black raspberry (I think it's black raspberry) plants I find around my place.
H E L L O ! ! ! ! ! !
dependable

RE: Black Raspberry, Red Raspberry, Blackberry

Post by dependable »

Red raspberrys are the kind most of us are familiar with, black raspberrys, in my experience, smaller plant and berries very good eating as well, fruit ripens similar to red ones.Thorns on both raspberry types are small . The blackberry thorns are bigger. Blackberry is different plant and forms invasive briar patches in the right conditions. The fruit is at least twice the size of red raspberry. also good to eat ,but does not taste the same. There is a thorn free blackberry that grows pretty well, but without the spikes.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

I have a lot of trouble describing tastes, but I find raspberries have more muted or softer taste than blackberries which tend to be sharper or perhaps tarter. I do not recall that I have ever tasted fresh black raspberries. In addition to the thorns which Dependable mention, raspberries tend to come off the core when ripe and can more easily fall apart than blackberries. In general raspberries are more easily damaged and do not transport as well as blackberries.

Lastly, I do not see what part of the country you live in but other than perhaps Dorman Red, most raspberries do not grow well or at all in the warmer parts of the country. In this part of TX there are a lot wild blackberries but no wild raspberries. While in NJ, Juneberries, which appear to be a wild raspberry, were very common in partial shade in the woods. Shade may also be a consideration since the wild blackberries seem to be more common in full sun. It maybe that raspberries will grow better in partial shade than blackberries, but you should check.

MJM
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

I should add that the Juneberries that I was referring to above in NW NJ were not the Juneberries that look somewhat like clumps of Blueberries. I think Juneberries was a local name sine the fruit ripened around June. They looked just like raspberries but with perhaps larger bracts.

Mike near Brenham TX
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

local nursery was selling raspberries. black and red.
bought some of each before I did research.
they dont grow well here.
why do they sell things i cant grow?
planted them where they will get morning sun and shade in the afternoon.
so begins another experiment(doomed to failure im afraid).
"Plants are people just like us"
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Black Raspberry, Red Raspberry, Blackberry

Post by Roy »

dudley wrote:local nursery was selling raspberries. black and red.
dudley,

They are selling things you will buy and it looks like they have been successful. :D
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I would probably give them a try anyway, at least a few plants.

I read all the time about plants that "don't grow well" here, then find a nice big 20-year-old one growing in the neighborhood. Different types of fruit trees for instance.

There may be ways to work around the conditions that cause them to do poorly: growing in containers, plant in part shade instead of full sun, provide plenty of water, provide winter protection, plant in a raised bed, etc.

Also, your definition of "do well" may be much different (lower expectations) than that of others. (Maybe a plant that is "doing well" for a commercial grower produces a bushel of fruit each year, but you'd be happy with a couple pints of berries.)
mike best

Re: RE: Black Raspberry, Red Raspberry, Blackberry

Post by mike best »

dudley wrote:local nursery was selling raspberries. black and red.
I know what you mean. Also Lowes and home depot like to sell things that can't survive not one tiny freeze, like coconut palms, you know how many they sold to valued customers in Orlando, and none survive, year after year, after year, $$$$$.

I have wild blackberries in my yard, but they are small and not worth growing and a friend of mine has hybrid blueberries that do very well for him, I don't know the type.

My black mulberry tree is already loaded blooms and tiny berries, should be a huge crop this year.

I have huge crops of wild Saw Palmetto berries every year. They taste awful and not sure if there is a way to make them palatable but there is an wholesale herb buyer that buys them by the pound in Groveland or some where near there. It is a big market for them. The problem with harvesting them is the branches of the Palmetto have double edged SAW BLADE TEETH on both sides on the branch. LOOK OUT, you must ware thick gloves and long sleeve shirts. The berries fall off easily into a bucket by just shacking the branches.

Oh-tay, eyes hopes yawl nordern folk enjoyed hearin bout awl dat.
Mike Best
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

wild plums flourish, commercial ones dwindle and die!
wild blueberries yes commercial blueberries no! seems like if its wild counterpart does well that the commercial cultivars should do okay, but no!
i am about ready to harvest some "swamp cabbage". just because the trees are in a bad spot. hardly a sustainable food crop!but yummy.
put it in the water pan and smoke a ham over it.
cornbread
drooling now...
"Plants are people just like us"
Coyote24

Post by Coyote24 »

All very good information and thanks for posting.

So pretty much blackberrys have larger fruit then raspberries. Also the blackberrys have larger thorns than raspberries.

Pretty much red raspberrys, black raspberrys, and blackberrys have there own flavor.

Plus watch what you buy at stores because they might not be able to survive in your area.

Thanks again everybody!
H E L L O ! ! ! ! ! !
Coyote24

Post by Coyote24 »

I found this article on how to distingush between the raspberries, blackberries, wine berries & wine raspberry. Here is the link http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=32
H E L L O ! ! ! ! ! !