Loppers

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Loppers

Post by ghmerrill »

Im trying to figure what brand of loppers to buy... the Corona brand loppers I have been using are really not the greatest, even though they were the top of the line of the "big box store" models....

I went to a local nursery today to talk to the owner, and he recomened Barnel brand-
https://www.oescoinc.com/barnel-bseries ... 1b12b3cf03

in his words, "he has never seen an orchard using felco loppers, they suck"

however, after seeing how popular Mantis' felcos are :wink: , im really stuck between the two... price is about the same, felco is easier to get parts for ( i can get those locally, in a pinch).

the Barnel brand open larger than the felcos, and the cutting blade is a bit different shape- it looks like it would pull what you are cutting toward the back of the lopper, where the other loppers and the hand held trimmers I have used have the standard shape that concentrates the cut in the middle of the blade.

well, anyone have any sugestions? im all ears, and really am having a hard time deciding!
Mostly, what I am looking for is for cutting of 1/2" to 1" culms, of Ps. japonica. doing them by hand with my Felco 7's is really tough, its suprising how strong they are!
Jerry Hamilton
Location info: 0

Re: Loppers

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

I have the Felco's and love them. And like you said you can get parts local. I have one that is 19 inchs long and then a longer pair. When I was doing lawn care they handled anything I wanted to do. Never had a problem.
Jerry
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

My Felco pruners were not up to the task, the tip broke off one blade and they are now splayed so that every freaking cut they stick and have to be pulled apart. Granted I'm tough on pruners but I am going back to the cheapo's $6 that last only slightly less than my $40 Felco's did.

For loppers, I'd suggest emailing Phil Comer (Phil in Shelton) he was totally impressed with some anvil style ones that were demoed to him at a show - I forget the brand.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Thanks Brad! I peruse Phils site occasionally, so I will email him and see what he thinks. Im not sure I like anvil loppers, I am harvesting Japonica culms for sale, and dont want to crush them, but I will see what he saw about those he liked.
Im really suprised you had problems with the Felcos. Im extremely hard on pruning gear too... I tend to try to cut stuff that is too big, dry, and all other manner of horrors, and thus far have loved the Felco #7s I bought. I though the rotating handle was a great feature. Now I think its annoying, and would not get another pair like that. It was supposed to give you more cutting power, and reduce blisters. since I have not used a #2 pair, I dont know about that, but I do know that playing with the handle every time you pull them out to make a cut is annoying.
Mark_NoVA

Post by Mark_NoVA »

You're not getting 'Felco' and 'Fiskars' mixed up, are you? (I did that!)
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I like the Felco. That is the brand the county buys at Mercer and I have used them for many years there. I have used mantis' pair a fair amount grooming and making cuttings, no problem.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
needmore

Post by needmore »

If you're asking me, yes, they are indeed Felco's.

I use them exclusively to cut down bamboo canes at soil level and I cut down hundreds each year. When in the act of doing so I can be pretty rough on them, I must have hit a rock or something just under the surface but it broke about .5" off the tip of one blade. Cutting something beyond their diameter limit is probably what initially splayed them but Felcos, splyaed, and broken they are.

For branch pruning etc they are probably fine but I need something heavier duty - apparently.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

corona's from the big box stores were absolutely worthless.
i have had good luck with the fiskar's.
"Plants are people just like us"
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

dudley wrote:corona's from the big box stores were absolutely worthless.
i have had good luck with the fiskar's.
Do the Fiskar's Loppers have the same lifetime warranty that their shovels do?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, I decided to get the Barnel loppers- after looking them over again, the Barnel opens much wider. It looks like the blade is hinged differently. I will post a pic so everyone can see what I am talking about.
Anyway, I put them to the test yesterday- I cut about 250 japonica poles, and they worked WAY better than the cheapo big box specials I had before.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

fiskars says lifetime warranty on the handle.
"Plants are people just like us"
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

dudley wrote:fiskars says lifetime warranty on the handle.
And when I had their "World's Greatest Shovel" bend they replaced it. Don't lose the phone number!

Some Fiskars Loppers are on my want list.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I kept my reciept and after I broke the handle off the shovel, took it back to the hardware store, and they replaced it.... I didnt have to deal with fiskars at all!