Snow

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Re: Snow

Post by boonut »

Hey Mantis... I looked at your pictures. You will have to give us a report on how everything does. My G. Sumatra had about 80% burned leaves at the farm out in the open.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Allen, as soon as I can amass the data I'll make a post. It'll probably be sometime during the weekend though, because I leave for work before sunrise, and get home after dark, so I really have no idea what kind of damage I suffered.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

mantis wrote:.... so I really have no idea what kind of damage I suffered.
Hopefully it is only minor psychological damage from seeing your hard work turn into sage green leaves followed rain that greens them up to make them look good and then...they jump off the stems en masse. Don't be fooled by the sage green, they are just trying to mess with your head.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mantis

Post by mantis »

I didn't even try to protect any of my in-ground plants; it is getting to be too much work. Also, I have gathered enough plants that are hardy to my area that if I lose some of the super-tropicals I will replace them with more hardy types. My best guess is I have 5 in-ground that were severely damaged, but I have about 2 dozen different types in pots that I left out in the open that have zero damage. Besides all that, we are going to be selling this house within the next 2 years, so if they die it will save me the hassle of digging them up. :clown:
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Ah heck Mantis give you a beer or two and you love digging up Bamboo.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:Ah heck Mantis give you a beer or two and you love digging up Bamboo.
MarCat
You've got that backwards... I drink the beer, you dig the 'boo, and I take pictures. :laughing1:
mantis

Post by mantis »

My wife just called and said "It has begun." I asked what she was talking about, and she told me that the leaves are making a mass exodus out of the bamboos :(

In better news, I finally got my greenhouse put up... just a week too late, but at least I can walk through my house again. :mrgreen:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

B. luteostriata looking good! (not) :pale:

I like the shots where it looks like you put up crime scene tape. I know that's probably not what it is, but that's what I first thought. :)

What size is your greenhouse?
mantis

Post by mantis »

Crime scene tape? You mean my wife's clothes line? :lol:

Greenhouse is like 8'L x 7'H x 6.5' W. It is small, but it's better than keeping the plants in our house. 8)
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mantis has your Wammin dropped its leaves yet. Mine looks almost as bad and I covered it and wrapped lights on it. Did a piss poor job covering it my Bad.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

Mark, after another week the wamin has now dropped 100% of its leafs.
marcat

Post by marcat »

Mine still has green leaves mainly where the X-mass lights were. About 30% left. Culms still look good with most of the leaves gone you can see them real good now.
MarCat