Deep freeze in Deep South Texas

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Deep freeze in Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Supposed to be down to 26F here tonight for up to 7 hours. We really haven't had a hard freeze since 2004. Tomorrow night it is supposed to get down to 32F. NOT good!!! :shock: :(
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Re: Deep freeze in Deep South Texas

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

20 degrees here this morn.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I believe 21 has been the lowest I have seen here since growing bamboo.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

It is 28F here this morning. Supposed to get colder. I agree... coldest it has been since I have been growing bamboo. I need a refresher as to what happens in a deep freeze for extended hours with most of the tropicals. I am really going to be sad if both of my D. Giganteus "Quail" bite the dust. They have both been doing so well. Do most come back even if killed to the ground?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Allen, although the temperates are indeed different than the tropicals, I am almost certain you'll not lose any outright with your conditions. They'll likely go into a survival mode and send up a flush of much smaller culms next year so you'll have to wait for them to size back up. I suspect that your papaya trees will meet their maker though.

Tropicals I planted out here have come back 3 years in a row which really surprises me and they endure LONG deep freezes, at some point they'll die off, perhaps this spring they'll be no more but they can surely take a few light freezes without dying off.

It sucks that y'all who are getting these unusually cold temps and seeing your bamboo wither, I feel your pain - or perhaps more correct - you feel mine as it is unusual for me to not have damage. Only one time have I had everything winter over - it is probably worse living on the edge where they can winter over if the winter is mild enough, you bite your nails and eat weather forecasts like bad junk food. Mantis showed the signs by changing back to the station that had higher lows forecast! Lance knows his will die off at some point every winter so he can relax and watch seasons 1-3 of Northern Exposure on DVD instead of weather forecasts.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

:lol: Yeah, I'm pretty used to what happens now, but pretty happy how they look most of the year even though they do die to the ground. I'm watching x-files, on season 4, does that count? :alien:
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Coldest it's been here in 20 years... since the deep freeze in '89. There is a lot of death in the yard. Some surprises (B. sp. Richard Waldron is going to 100% defoliate), but I'll have to wait until next week to really see the full extent of the damage.
Attachments
17_degrees.jpg
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

holy cow , the sugar land isn't getting any love :(
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Interesting that your weather underground sticker says it's 33 F... unless the 17.9 F was from last night?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Iowaboo wrote::lol: Yeah, I'm pretty used to what happens now, but pretty happy how they look most of the year even though they do die to the ground. I'm watching x-files, on season 4, does that count? :alien:
Yes, that counts as long as you skip all of the in your face government conspiracy episodes, and all episodes after Mulder leaves. After Mulder leaves you have to switch immediately to Californication, my current favorite Mulder series.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Alan_L wrote:Interesting that your weather underground sticker says it's 33 F... unless the 17.9 F was from last night?
Yeah, the 17.9 was at 7:30 this morning. It's warmed up quickly in the last 2.5 hours.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Mid teens here my cold sink kicked in big time. One of my oldhammi's is showing top kill allready, Lemonlime (Asian Lemon) 90%+ leaf burn. Haven't really looked at anything else. But to top it all off my well froze. Am trying to thaw it now the wife was really pissed trying to get ready for work with no water. We keep back up water just in case and she had to take a sponge bath.
MarCat
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

hmm, living in the amish paradise
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Well is thawed no busted pipe thankfully. Going to recover and add Xtra heat.
Checked my boo's...bad very bad.
Top Kill
B.oldhammi
B.beechy
90% leaf burn
Lemon Lime
Punting pole
B.malingensis
O.a. aztecus
B. textilis Kanapaha
60%
B. Clone-X (first time)
B. ventricosa
B.textilis 'glabra'
B.t. 'gracilis'
sp. Richard Waldron
40%
Dolly Silver Stripe and Green Stripe
B. textilis "Outlaw"
B. v. Kimmie
10-15%
B.multiplex (first I have ever seen leaf burn on a multiplex)

MarCat
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

WOW!!! That stinks!!!
Glad to hear your not showing your plumbers crack though!!! :wink:
40 miles N.E of st louis