Today's the day!

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

bigone5500

Today's the day!

Post by bigone5500 »

Gonna go dig some bamboo today! Wish me luck and a sore back...LOL!!!!
bigone5500

Re: Today's the day!

Post by bigone5500 »

Rats... :evil: Didn't get to go out. I'll definitely make time tomorrow...
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Bummer
Have fun tommorow
MarCat
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

Well it took all day long to get it but I finally did! I dug a total of 4 culms. Two are pretty small but the others are awesome! One is 35' tall and the other is 50' tall. I hope I got a large enough root ball on the two tall ones. The largest one weighed about 100 lbs and the other was about 40 or 50 lbs. The large one had good looking rhizomes on it and I think it will be ok if it will stay stood up. The little ones were at the edge of the driveway by the barbed wire fence and looked so sad I had to get them. One has the top cut off probably about a foot and the other is untouched. I dug 3 rhizomes too. Two of them were about 1" diameter and 12" long and the other was about 1 1/4" diameter and about 24" long. The larger one had a good bit of dirt on it like a root ball and I think it may take off. The only thing I am really worried about is the larger ones falling over from wind. I'm not sure what the best way to keep them upright is. I'm thinking some poles driven in the ground at an angle in 3 places may work.

Anyway, here's some pics!
DSC_2790_resize.JPG
DSC_2788_resize.JPG
DSC_2786_resize.JPG
DSC_2787_resize.JPG
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

More pics!
No, that's not what I hauled them in...LOL!
No, that's not what I hauled them in...LOL!
Root ball of the 35' one.
Root ball of the 35' one.
Looking up in the midst of the grove.
Looking up in the midst of the grove.
The largest culm I could find. My thumb measures 1" at the widest point for size comparison.
The largest culm I could find. My thumb measures 1" at the widest point for size comparison.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Wow! :shock: I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think the tall one will make it. It just seems like too small of a root mass for such large topgrowth. I have no experience with culms of that size though. If it does survive (hope it does!) it won't produce culms nearing that height for a long time. Your division, even though taken from a mature grove, is now a juvenile again, and will put up juvenile culms for a few years.

I'd definitely stake it like you said. If you take 3 10' electrical conduit pipes (metal of course), make a tripod of them with each at least 2' into the ground, then take a metal hose clamp and tighten it around them all at the top, that makes a very sturdy structure. Maybe put that right next to the culm, then tie the culm to it with something strong yet flexible? I don't know if that will even do it. That culm is just SO TALL!!

How the heck did you get that home? It must have been dragging on the ground all the way, right? :)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

You may be surprised in how much rhizome growth a large division generates in one growing season. I took an 80lb division of yellow groove last May and it generated an impressive amount of rhizome growth, and my division had nowhere near as much foliage as that 50ft henon. I guess you could also use cement blocks to hold the root ball down on top of staking it.

Here's the results from my yellow groove division last year.
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

Good idea with the cement. How high up should I tie it off and what is a good method for attaching it to the stakes?
Jerry Hamilton
Location info: 0

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

I drive a bamboo stake either thru the rootball or beside it. Then will use electrical tie wraps around the boo & the stake. Seen duct tape used.
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Depending on the plant I count up 3 to 5 nodes with branches and top the culm.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Depending on the plant I count up 3 to 5 nodes with branches and top the culm.
You cut off the top? I think I read that right...
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

You have removed some of the root mass so topping it reduces the culms energy/ water needs. We do that with clumpers all the time.I would asume runners need it too.
Marcat
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

If you cut the top off some, then how long does it take for the culm to reproduce the part which was cut off? In other words, will it be a nub forever?

In the photos above, how old would you guys say the large bamboo is? They are also as tall as the one I have in my back yard.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Cut culms never grow taller, so they'll stay "nubs". For that matter, uncut culms will never grow taller either -- the height they reach when shooting is the height they'll stay forever.
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

How long do you think it will take for the rhizome I planted to start growing some shoots?