Horse manure

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

RE: Horse manure

Post by CadyG »

Kurt,
If the guy has a huge heap of goat poop outside, uncovered, then I guarantee you, dollars to doughnuts, that the weed seeds are getting blown in by wind, dropped by birds... I doubt very much that they are in the goat poop itself. Remember the old belief in "spontaneous generation"? Back in the day, it was believed that barnacles grew spontaneously from wood on ship hulls (why not...they appeared like magic from out of nowhere!) and that maggots were produced by rotten meat (it didn't occur to anyone that flies were laying eggs on the meat, since the eggs were too tiny to see, and no one caught sight of flies in the act of laying them).

Goat poop is "cold" manure, so weed seeds getting blown in would find themselves in paradise, like living in pure nutrition. Leaving a pile of poop uncovered outside is begging to start a weed farm. :)
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

Post by kstanwick »

Hmmmm i like your theory....probably correct....I will see if i Can PAY ANOTHER VISIT TO THAT GUY AND GET SOME OF IT....oops SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK...but I'm too lazy to change it....
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
Joseph Clemens
USDA Zone 9 (Some winters Zone 8)

Post by Joseph Clemens »

Fresh, uncomposted horse manure for me. I vermiculture beneath every planting of bamboo in my acre, feeding the worms our kitchen waste and horse manure is excellent bedding for the worms.

Any plants that germinate and grow from the manure provide a distraction for the rabbits, they always seem to prefer fresh young greens, even over bamboo shoots.
Joseph Clemens
Tucson, Arizona, USA