temperature map

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

JWH
Location info: 0

Re: temperature map

Post by JWH »

If the NOAA predictions are accurate it looks like a warmer than average summer almost everywhere. No lean either way here in the coastal PNW & N.Cal.....figures :? It looks like it could be drier than normal though.
Attachments
Temperature
Temperature
Precipitation
Precipitation
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Around 36C the whole week. When I got back I watered everything up, because bamboo seems to dry out before any other plants do. Some of the leaves show minor damage. Everything is growing like crazy now, compared to 15C when nothing wanted to even start growing. I've heard in Germany, they got hit even harder with 40C. :D
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

It has been about 4F below average temperatures so far this June, but it looks like we are finally going to get a week of warmer weather. This is why my luffa vines are still barely on the trellis even though they were started over 2 months ago indoors.

The bamboos also seem to be very slow in leafing out. All the rain has also killed off quite a few of my plants as standing water become a problem that is worsened by cool weather since the soil never dries up. It has been wet soil all month so far which may be good for bamboos to sink their roots in deeper, but many of the plants appear to be suffocating from too much moisture.

A 15-20F increase in temperatures should really get the plants going after being held back for so long.

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

stevelau1911 wrote: since the soil never dries up. It has been wet soil all month so far which may be good for bamboos to sink their roots in deeper, but many of the plants appear to be suffocating from too much moisture.
A 15-20F increase in temperatures should really get the plants going after being held back for so long.
Steve - I would think the reverse on the bamboos. If the soil is sopping wet and veggies are packing it in the bamboos have no reason to sink their roots deeper.

On the coast our probem is that with bedrock down a foot to two feet we can get into a drought in the matter of week or so after a deluge. If there are fissures in the rock perhaps trees and the like will venture down those.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

It looks like they are predicting a warm winter for everywhere except Florida and the PNW this coming winter. We will need since last winter was very brutal.

Here are the maps.

stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Looks like we may be back on track to above average temperatures for the early part of fall. If we can hold off on frost until well into November, better yet December, then my luffas can produce well over 1000 fruits, and bamboo rhizomes can get nice and long despite having a slow start. Once I see that we are done with too much heat, I intend to set my greenhouse up over the moso bicolor to extend the growing season just a little bit, but it looks like the temperatures will stay warm for a few more weeks now.

johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Environment Canada only gives 14 day forecasts.
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-09-11 at 9.41.15 AM.png
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Accuweather is now forecasting a warm October. It has nearly a 2 month outlook, but their predictions are pretty much changing on a daily basis. Hopefully there will be enough warmth to help the bamboos send out some decent rhizome spread. I know they can get as fast as 1.5 inches per day for some bamboos when they are at their peak growth rate.

I've tried measuring some day to day with sticks, and find that rhizomes generally grow in spurts which will root out before sending another spurt of growth kind of like the above ground growth, except rhizomes generally grow much slower than the rising shoots in the spring.

There are many instances when a weaker rhizome gets aborted in favor of the strongest one, especially in bamboos with fatter rhizomes. 3 weeks of growth means a good 2ft of additional growth for the season if they choose to grow.

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Steve if you can see them growing roots & such then I suspect that they are not growing normally, I think that being exposed to light will change their behavior.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Hopefully my digging up and loosening of soil didn't stress out the growing tips and stunt any rhizome growth, but overall, my moso bicolor rhizome growth has reached about 65% of what was produced last season. This is also with a cooler summer, 9 divisions taken off, and a couple of big culms to fill up with starches before investing anything into rhizomes. Given the heat of the greenhouse, there should be at least 2 good months of possible rhizome growth left on it. I see that temperatures will really plummet next week so I'll be putting on the greenhouse cover on tomorrow. One difference I think the greenhouse makes is that it extends the season on both sides by about a month allowing a bit more energy to be stored and shoot buds to mature a little bit more so I'll also be cramming in a lot of other potted bamboos in there where I have 200 square feet of ground to work with. I've learned that it's pretty rare that I need to ever heat the greenhouse, and even if I do, my paraffin lamp should be sufficient. I also have a 70 watt fish tank warmer, 100 watt space heater, 400 watt metal halide lamp, 750/1500 watt space heater available just in case of extreme freezes as we can still have a zone 5 winter every few decades.

It doesn't look like the white woven mesh material on this greenhouse will tear or get holes as easily as my previous greenhouse, but I believe it probably reduces light by around 50% which is why I didn't put on the cover that soon.

It also looks like they are forecasting a warm start to winter, and then snowier conditions in the second part of winter for my area.

Here's the map
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... w/18574742

pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Here we go again...

The autumn rains are pouring and there's hardly any sunlight hitting the ground here in my backyard to dry it up. If I dig a hole half a foot deep, I am pretty sure there'll be standing water.

The temperature is also expected to drop significantly in the coming weeks with lows hovering just above freezing.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

The average this time of year is 11C and an average low of 0C. It has been 17C for an average high and 6C for an average low so far for october. September was about 2C warmer then average. Its nice to have considering the crappy spring we had. Ya know, like snow may 15th.....
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It was unusually cold a week ago, but it warmed up and we actually got to see some sun again. Temperatures are rising towards 20C again (daily high), but low morning temperatures almost dropped below freezing. Bamboos mostly stopped growing, with several exceptions that are shooting and behaving stupid.

It can be seen that bamboos are going into dormant phase. Aureosulcata leaves became dark green, thicker than ever and with nice glossy surface, Aurea shed most of it's leaves, moso also got a bit darker green leaves... The winner is Shiroshima - white variegation is becoming bright yellow. Colors are really amazing on that bamboo. Photo can't capture the colors though...
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Overall temperatures have been about average, but it looks like we may be in for a major freeze on the 13th. Aside from that, it doesn't look like average temperatures will dip below freezing for a while.

I've found that inside an unheated greenhouse in the middle of the winter, the heat generation effect of the compost will shut down when it gets down close to freezing, even if the greenhouse never freezes over. I've been thinking of ways to prevent it. On cold spells when day time highs are around 20F, and nights are 10F, it will often hold the greenhouse temperatures down into the 20-40F range if I don't turn on a heater. Good insulation + a good heat sink don't mean much when you go several weeks without sunshine, and the compost heat doesn't work.

I've thought about creating an external rocket mass stove in a smaller greenhouse which burns off wood or pellets, and can channel warm air into the main greenhouse, but I need to figure out how that can be done without all the smoke, but that's just something I may work on if I have the time.

Looks like November doesn't look bad overall especially when the 2nd half is supposed to be warmer than the 1st half.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Steve: those images never display for me -- they just show as black.