Looking for P. atrovaginata, P. rubromarginata, P. bissetii

Moderator: needmore

Liz
Location info: 0

Looking for P. atrovaginata, P. rubromarginata, P. bissetii

Post by Liz »

I would love to have some of these species especially bissetii (not dwarf). I do not have anything to trade, but can dig and pot if not too far away. I'm in middle Tennessee. Any suggestions?

Liz
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Looking for P. atrovaginata, P. rubromarginata, P. bisse

Post by needmore »

Our Bamboo Nursery is located in Summertown TN (about 45 mins from Columbia). They do not ship plants and are generally wholesale only but if you intend to buy 50 or so they could be a good option for you. Tell them that Brad in Indiana said to ask if they have any conservation grade this year, generally they have it in the Bissetii, Rubro, and Yellow Groove.

I have not asked about pricing in the past couple of years but their conservation grade is single culms, topped at about 4-6 feet, dug and held for 1 month - they used to be less than $20 each if you bought 50+, but you have to pick them up. 931 964-4151 if you are interested. If you get them now before shooting season, within a few weeks they will have multiple culms anywhere from 6-12 feet based on my past experiences. A very economical way to jump start a large grove.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Liz,

Where in Middle Tennessee are you located? I'm in Murfreesboro, and I'm digging rubro now. You can PM or email me if you like.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks David. You have mail.

Liz
Liz

Post by Liz »

Brad- yes I have seen the Summertown nursery on the internet. What is conservation grade as opposed to landscape grade?

I'm not rich enough to put $1,000 into bamboo, or I would certainly ride to Summertown to acquire some. I'm hoping to start with a few plants, with the anticipation of rapid spreading.

Thanks for your help.

Liz
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Conservation grade they top at the first couple of branches so that they are easier to care for in the holding yard, plus any culms with top damage become c grade. Landscape grade are full plants, not cropping.

David, hope all is well in TN, it looked like y'all had a mild winter!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hello Brad,

We had a fairly typical winter, and hopefully we won't warm up too fast. I'd like some of my early shooters to actually form culms instead of bushes. Seems like our typical late hard freeze waits until they are in full shooting mode before it strikes. Congrats on your appointment, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Liz

Post by Liz »

After researching this a bit I would like just P.Bissetti. If anyone has any information on where I could buy a few plants at a reasonable price. please let me know.

What are the best bamboo nurseries to buy this species?
David

Post by David »

Hi Liz,

It looks like Jim Bonner(Bamboo Plantation) has them for 14.99 1gal, 19.99 2gal, 39.99 3gal. I've not seen any lower prices than these.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Liz

Post by Liz »

David thank you so much for this great information. I will look them up right now.

Liz
Liz

Post by Liz »

I picked up a P. Bisetti in a 15 gal. pot at a local nursery for $45, and couldn't be more pleased. There are about 8 culms. They are about 4-5 feet tall and about 1/4 inch to 5/8 inch in diameter.

I would still like to find atrovaginata, and rubromarginata. Any leads on great deals would be appreciated.

Liz