My first post, and list of my collection and location

Moderator: needmore

SpringfieldNursery
Location info: 0

My first post, and list of my collection and location

Post by SpringfieldNursery »

Hey everyone. Just ran into somebodies post in a google search. Im new and this is my first post so be gentle. haha

I live at a nursery that me and my family have run my entire life. I grew up working as a kid till now at this wholesale nursery. Eventually i started landscaping anywhere i could find space.

Bamboo always appealed to me. Nurseries never grow it and if so hardly ever but about 8 years ago i ran into a local hidden 40 acrea bamboo paradise this man had built over his lifetime and I traded him Cans for 1 gallon giant moso, a couple 15' of black bamboo, and huge clumps of matures robert young, and vivax bamboo. The guy used common names, and he unfortunately had to sell it.

Check it out at BambooGiant.com I got most of what they carry.

I havent been back since he left. It makes me sick and i didnt creat the paradise of well manacured perfect groves. People use to come just to walk the few trails in anticipation of the new culms and it was a small friendly opperation.

I dont mean to be negative about them for their prices and attitude but its kind of like one of those beutiful wineries some rich family buys it and acts like they created it when all they did was pave it, advertise a little to instantly become a famous nursery. They make sure to remind you they are the number 1 bamboo supplier in California every time ive talked.

Good for them, lucky....I just have a horrible feeling of what the previous owner who planted it all by hand thinks when he sees his grooves on every network tv channel and in tripple A tour guides.

The prices on there kill me and well just .say they avoid me since i mentioned i work at a nursery and got all my treasured bambooo years ago. Asking how the old owner turned the call short, and thats fine.

I plan on going on a tour over there, and recommend it to anybody.

I see this is the exhange section, and to be blunt I got the bug. Fish and Bamboo. I seem to want 1 of every variety thats out there. Its not about money to me, but I love bamboo and plants so much I wish i could just give it away all day like santa. lol

Common names. Ill repost more info and the right names. If you live within driving distance of Monterey or santa cruz then im in range. KNow where the Monterey Bay aquarium is?

Ive got a medium/large garden ive been tillin and fava beening and ive been in deep thougt changing my mind so much its been 3 years and I cant stick with 1 plan. I really want a grove that can have it all. I love Moso but Wind burns at the tips stink.

Im thinking I need to make sure to leave options open, and do it slow and right. Soil is important to me, I mix up piles for the wholesale nursery and Sometimes i splurge and mix it in. I got 5 years of growth in the last grove i did in barely a year......course i used over 20 tractor scoops....Hehe. Got sandy loam soil. Have potted up around 25O 1 gallons, 5 gallons, and 15s as well as boxes.

I have nobody to turn to. Hope this forum is active, and look forward to learning your tricks of the trade, your favorite bamboos, as well as your needs....

Everyone loves the finished privacy headges i do but the matures bamboo out heres a handfull and Im constantly reapeating myself like a broken record.

"DO NOT DIG UP MY BAMBOO"
"Its no going to take over the world or the farm.

if only people put as much effort into pullling weeds i wouldnt have to act like a park ranger stopping the slaughter and poaching of my bamboo.

LoL

ps. I use all forms of shipping and am open to whatever, so if your far away anythings possible. Id love to start out with maybe 1o new interesting types. Id love some ground covers, as well as a list of all of your favorites if your reading this. If you like it......Id like to ask you how soon can i get it. Haha seriously....

Sorry for ranting about Bamboo Giant. I guess it was the fact that they ingore messages and want outrageous prices though they sell wholesale.....They have no idea or respect for whats fair.

As a last ditch effort i left a message as king how many small "plugs" i called them....meaning how many small clumps can i get for 3 thousand dollars for example. No response.

The day before this they wanted near 5o dollars wholesale. I tried to explain that nursuries cant possibly afford to pay over 3 dollars at the most and still make no profit.

I guess thats why you never see nurseries carry them, except maybe muiltiplex in 5 gallons.

I tried every approach to progagate, and was able to take cuttings with rooting powder root successfully.

Looking online theres some really nices sites i admire.

Thanks for listening and I hope to hear from you. Id love to tour some grooves or show you around my 1o acreas....Like i said Im not in it for money...but i respect and will work with you if its your buisness as well.

Giant Moso,
Black Bamboo,
Big green Vivax,
Zig Zag water bamboo,
Small pencil bamboo,
Robert young,
Muiltiplex,
Golden buddha,
and a couple other

also have a few hundred other plants for landscape....so just ask for an inventory list if you want to exchange bamboo yet require componsation.

Drew

Great site guys. No all i hope is that it isnt a dead site with no activity.
hehe
Springfield Nursery Inc.
Drew
SpringfieldNursery@wbba.net

Ask for me. Were wholesale and i dont even sell bamboo....though local bamboo places seem to ignore me out of fear of competition possibly.

Thanks for listening and I hope I can help somebody.

Great website by the way.
SpringfieldNursery

RE: My first post, and list of my collection and location

Minimum Temp.
Greenstripe Vivax (Bright yellow with green stripes, large leaves, tall and fast-growing, cold-hardy) 45' 5" -5 F

Moso (Light green velvet culm, fine leaves, largest ultimate size)
60' 6" 0 F

Weaver's Bamboo (Tall, graceful and very dense but not cold-hardy - Clumping)
40' 2" 15 F

Oldhamii (Tall and very dense but not cold-hardy - Clumping)
45' 3" 15 F

Giant Hedge Bamboo
Giant Timber - (40' to 60')

Vivax (Bright green, large leaves, tall and fast-growing, cold-hardy)
45 5" -5 F

Henon (Blue-green, fine leaves, tall and drought-tolerant, good in clay)
40' 4" 0 F

Giant Black (Shiny jet-black culms, likes shade, leans)
30' 3" 0 F

Castillon (Brilliant yellow with green stripe, leaning culms)

Allgold (Same as Castillon but solid rich gold color)
25' 2" 5 F

Castillon Inversa (Brilliant green with yellow stripe, leaning culms)
25' 2" 5 F

Buddha's Belly (Broad arching clumping bamboo with bold form. Not cold hardy) 40' 2" 15 F

Large Hedge Bamboo
Tailor your Tall Hedge - Select Color and Form (25' to 40')

Leopard (Green with black spots, tall and exotic)
40' 4" 0 F

Temple (Dark green/bronze majestic columnar structure)
30' 1.5" -5 F

Black Groove (Green with black stripe, tall and majestic)
35' 3" 0 F

Crookstem (A rare and impressive hedge bamboo)
30' 2" 0 F

Robert Young (Yellow with random green stripe, slow-running)
Houzeau (Same as Robert Young but green with yellow groove)
Viridis (Same as Robert Young but all green)
30' 3" 0 F

Tanakae (Green with brown spots, large cane for height, very rare)
35' 4" 0 F

Violascens (Purple with green and black stripe, fast-growing)
30' 3" 0 F

Shimadake (Green with random brown stripes, rare)
40' 3" 0 F
Medium Display Bamboo
Bold and Distinctive Specimens - Container or clump (12' to 25')

Chusquea (Green, exotic, South American Clumping bamboo, salt-tolerant)
35' 1" -0 F

Alphonse Karr (Common Clumping bamboo, not cold tolorant but good inside) 20' (varies) 1" 20 F

Silverstripe (Fast growing arching Clumping bamboo, not cold tolorant)
25' 1" 12 F

Aurea Koi (Yellow with green stripes, extended nodes, upright and slow- running) 25' 2" 0 F

Aurea Inversa (Green with yellow stripes, extended nodes, inverse of KOI)
25' 2" 0 F

Tibetan Princess (Dense clump, bright red cane, fine leaves with cascading foliage) 15' 1" 20 F

South African (Hardy and tough with open form, the only bamboo from South Africa) 14' 1" 0 F

Himalayan Blue (Blue culms in the shade, cascading foliage, a range of forms) 10' - 25' .5 - 1.5" 25 F

Candystripe (Dense Clumper with multi-colored cane)
20' 1.5" 15 F

Mexican Weeping (Long dense leaves and arching culms - needs warm location) 20' 1.5" 27 F

Robusta (Fast growing clumper with a bold form and great coloring)
20' 1" 0 F

Borinda (Mountain Clumper with purple delicate arching canes)
18' .5" 15 F

Medium Hedge Bamboo
Medium Sized Timber - Perfect for Hedges, Containers or Indoors (12' to 25')

Aurea [Golden] (Green with extended nodes, hardy and fast-running, common in California) 25' 2" 0 F

Yellow Groove (Green with yellow stripes, random crooked culm, great hedge bamboo)
Alata (Same as Yellow Groove without yellow stripes, great hedge bamboo) 25' 1.5" -10 F

Spectabilis (Yellow with green stripes, random crooked culm, purple shoots) 25' 1.5" -10 F

Arrow (Large green leaves, straight tight-packed, small-diameter culms, salt- tolerant) 18' .75" -5 F

Square (Green, square culm, columnar cascading form, good in shade and indoors) 25' 1.5" 10 F

Nuda (Dark-green leaves, cold-hearty, a good hedge bamboo)
Rubromarginata, Propinqua (Similar in form to Nuda)
25' 1.5" -15 F

Yamadorii (Green with yellow and purple, arching culm, dense foliage, fast- spreading, salt-tolerant) 25' 1.5" -5 F

Mountain Bamboo (A great looking mountain bamboo with arching culms and tight clusters of narrow leaves) 13' 1" 0 F

Water Bamboo (One of the few that grow in wet ground, zig-zag arching culm, dense foliage.) 15' 1" 5 F

Green Onion (Large green leaves, straight tight-packed, swollen culm internodes, salt- tolerant) 18' .75" -5 F

Linearis (Green and slightly arching, long narrow dense foliage, slow-spreading, an elegant screen) 13' 1" -4 F

Variegated Simonii [Medake] (Green and vertical, dense foliage, fast- spreading, wind and salt tolerant) 16' 1.5" -10 F

Hindsii (Green, bold and upright, dense foliage, fast- spreading, wind and salt tolerant, great hedge viewed from a distance)
16' 1.5" -4 F
Running Type Bamboo
Short Bamboo - Ground Cover and Indoor Plant (2' to 8')

Chino (Fine leaf, arching, a hearty substitute for Mexican Weeping)
6' .5" -10 F
Shiroshima (Long, strongly variegated leaves, very striking and dense)
8' .75" -4 F

Chinese Goddess (Low delicate weeping fernlike foliage with very small leaves) 6' .3" 12 F

Marmorea (Red bushy spires, small leaves, fast-spreading)
Marmorea Variegata (Same as Marmorea with variegated leaves)
6' .5" 5 F

Fountain (Purple culms with cascading foliage, likes it cool and shady)
10' .5" -20 F

Veitchii (Dense dark-green-leaved ground cover)
3' .25" 0 F

Kumasaca (Loves acid soil and shade - great under redwoods)
4' .25" -5 F

Palmata (Wide green leaves and fast-spreading)
7' .5" 0 F

Tessellatus (Large, hanging green leaves, tropical look but cold- hardy)
6' .25" -5 F

Dwarf Green Stripe (Dense brilliant yellow leaves with green stripe, good house plant) 3' .25" 0 F

White Stripe (Variegated ground cover, looks good under most conditions)
3' .25" -10 F

Humilis (Dense green ground cover, fast-growing)
3' .25" -10 F

Albostriata (Dense vivid leaves banded with cream color, good house plant)

****EDIT BY MODERATOR**** Welcome to the forum! I edited your post to make it more reader friendly. If you have not already done so, you may find the species descriptions on this website of interest, you can find the page link in the rolldown menu in the upper left corner under 'Species List'.

Needmore
Springfield Nursery Inc.
Drew

Ask for me. Were wholesale and i dont even sell bamboo....though local bamboo places seem to ignore me out of fear of competition possibly.

SpringfieldNursery

Im sorry if i came across as advertising to sell bamboo or plants, soil ect.

I meant the exact opposite. I want to advertise im aganst selling it for profit. Id like to trade, but I meant to offer a free alternative to around 12 species.

I once sold 5 lush bushy viavax in 15's to my uncle. naturally the people didnt want the sticky leafless ones from the local bamboo sales place. 5oo dollars and i felt like i sold my sould. seriously i was like oh no, now some guys got these beutiful babies i pampered hell refer to as simply bamboo.

Vivax is the number 1 largest hardiest bamboo, and even at my house it fully matured. Im talking competing with the telephone poles. since then, i cant stand selling bamboo. Stinks know one more persons making it less rare.

Now ive got enough of it, and im 24. growing up parents teach you bamboo is the devil. haha

i love invasive plants, water hyacinth, hore rush, lots of things banned from california.

oh
ps. to the mod that sent my first pm. I typed up a letter just for you, spent all this time hit enter, and pc froze. Im too lazy too remember or type again but I wish you got the chance

btw can u take out anything about the nursrey I work at. I already got in trouble. Its hard work, people dont understand wholesale and retail. other local nurseries in retail get sued all the time.\ 1 grabbed an out of order nursery cart with a big warning sign....plus the fact that everybody knows you dont even pretend to use their equipment. story ends, lady drives down a hill screaming the brakes dont work. the sign clearly marked, but thats why most never do retail. No matter what happens to the public. They trip on a rock or the can they just bought......even one sued granit creek for tripping over a deco Rock after a finished landscape job at a home. My dads company got sewed but lucky he kept all the reciets, so it was granite creeks problems

Ill make it extra clear for the record....im dealing only with home hobby plants and gardens and not sailing retail. just for the county record...

i better change my name as well. i live near a place on the county map that says springfield hills.

do me a favor and delete it all. I dont have the right to talk about where i work. Could be seen as disrespect, i was asked "you didnt just use the co name"

Sorry.

ill repost a list and an area code.
Springfield Nursery Inc.
Drew

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Drew,
In any of your posts, you can click on the edit button - make the changes/deletions to text as you wish - and hit the submit button if you want to remove some of what you posted.
Take care,
Rick
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Drew,
You can also enter plants you have to trade under your Profile settings.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Drew - Bamboo Giant has it's problems, however, I have traded bamboo with them and their propagation mgr. is very helpful. Their stuff is way over priced, but so is the majority of bamboo that I see for sale in local nurseries. You have your work cut out for you as there are at least 2 other small bamboo nurseries in your area. They are under the radar but are surviving. Their prices are pretty reasonable. Then there is Suncrest (in Watsonville), one of the largest wholesale nurseries around. They propagate and sell a lot of bamboo. They have more to offer in providing info that you can use, plus provide plants for you at good prices. I believe Monterey Bay Nursery is also in the wholesale bamboo business but I know little about them. Your best bet to get any business off the ground is to advertise on Craigslist. I may have some bamboo to trade in the near future. I'd be happy to show you my garden. I have about 100 species of bamboo on my acre in the Santa Cruz mtns in Scotts Valley. Rgds
SpringfieldNursery

Bambo

Thanks for the Replies.

I love suncreast, we do business with them for years and i never knew they did bamboo.

I wonder how small they sell them. I have to say you are extremely knowledgeable and really surprised me in your comment about our area nursery's.

I do like the owner or manager earl or i forget his name. The sites changed. I guess the family theme was fun but no practical. Its one of the toughest jobs in the world. Some people may not realize just how much it takes to shift a plant, Dig a 5 gallon or 15gallon,, or my least favorite....the box. hehe Its a rude awakening to a lot of kids that want to get into it.

Are the other two nurseries the ones back around Monte Vista?

For now id like to propagate them simply because i enjoy gardening with 1's and 5s, plus collectors like yourself and I need to limit our enjoyment of some species in a container.

Thanks for the invitation. I could really use some ideas to get the flow going. People around the country dint realize the price we pay for open space in this county. hehe

Ill bring you some soil, and some samples of my moso 1's and 5's. We could use the international delivery truck even to move 40 foot clumps.

I'm always at my happiest gardening then watching as they do the work. Good anti depressant for my age and I'm really trying to get back into it since i outgrew the party seen.

Would you mind if i brought somebody with me? Maybe we can hit bamboo giant, and both of our places if your up to it. My family has heard me talk about bamboo giant forever and one day my mom pointed it out reading a triple A map guidebook.

Lets call bamboo giant and setup a tour....Its been a lifetime for me....and i want to check out the ground cover and what else is hardy as vivax but as leafy from top to bottom as my moso. 'Hino'

I'm going to go read your plant list right now.

Thanks again, please don't mention any of this. We like to keep other nurseries exclusive in case they don't get along, we don't like to advertise dealings of other retailers. Ya know? They might be in competition. just good business practice.

Signing off.
Do i have anything that you don't have yet btw?

let me know
we can exchange phone numbers by pm

Thanks for the welcome
Springfield Nursery Inc.
Drew

SpringfieldNursery

Wow you got an amazing list. i think i just found my new best friend. lol :)

Id really love to see all that.
Springfield Nursery Inc.
Drew

fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Drew - Re the other locations: Tim runs a business (name unknown) up the road from Bamboo Giant. Seems like a nice guy and has good prices. I traded some bamboo with him. Bill Schneider was running Bohemian Bamboo in Watsonville but not sure if he is still there. He was growing a lot of bamboo for nurseries down south. I will be unavailable for 2 or 3 weeks as I am involved in a large retaining wall project on my property.
I'll contact you when I'm available and give you a list of bamboo that I have potted and available for trade. OK to bring guests. Rgds
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Last time I was there (last year) Bamboo Giant had boo mites! So did RKR in OR, and Blue Heron in WA though. Also the new owners of Bamboo Giant were not so great, as compared to the old ones.

I have bought boos from Tim Hicks up the road from them (he does not have mites) in Freedom/Aptos, and he is a really good guy and has some nice stands of bamboos there on his 2 acre place. Everything I have gotten from Tim has done very well. :angel11:
Happy trails...
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Will have most of my wall complete by next weekend. had to redo my stucco as it was fried by the heat wave. If you want a visit later on in July let me know. Rgds
HouseholdWares

Post by HouseholdWares »

Anyone needs bamboo products,please check:www.household-wares.com
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: My first post, and list of my collection and locatio

Post by needmore »

HouseholdWares wrote:Anyone needs bamboo products,please check:www.household-wares.com
Householder - 1 self-promoting post seemed to me like plenty, the 3 you posted is 'on the radar' as opposed to 'under the radar'. If you are an ABS member, contact the webmaster here to learn how to get your company listed on the sources page. Thanks!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com