I really want a D. Giganteus

Moderator: needmore

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: I really want a D. Giganteus

Post by boonut »

I have been trying to grow giants for some time... but, having some set backs.

1.) First snow in over 98 years in 2004.
2.) Severe flooding in 2006.
3.) Hurricane and severe flooding in 2008. Harlingen hasn't had a direct hit in over 40 years for a hurricane.

Beginning to wonder if I will ever have some giants. Prior to 2004, I purchased lots of "other than D. Giganteus". Mike, I haven't seen anything larger than 6.6 inches. I have heard lots of claims of 10" and 12", but never saw a photo to verify. The photo below is around 4 feet from the ground.

Here is a picture of the largest culm I saw at Quail:

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Re: RE: I really want a D. Giganteus

Post by bepah »

I have the reasons for your inclement weather:

1.) First snow in over 98 years in 2004. - Global warming
2.) Severe flooding in 2006. - Global warming
3.) Hurricane and severe flooding in 2008. Harlingen hasn't had a direct hit in over 40 years for a hurricane. - Global warming
4.) Cause of global warming - Hot air from Washington

Nonetheless, my desire to possess this elusive giant is unabated....maybe if there is global warming, I can grow a coconut palm too!

boonut wrote:I have been trying to grow giants for some time... but, having some set backs.

3.) Hurricane and severe flooding in 2008. Harlingen hasn't had a direct hit in over 40 years for a hurricane.

Beginning to wonder if I will ever have some giants. Prior to 2004, I purchased lots of "other than D. Giganteus". Mike, I haven't seen anything larger than 6.6 inches. I have heard lots of claims of 10" and 12", but never saw a photo to verify. The photo below is around 4 feet from the ground.

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
bepah

Post by bepah »

boonut wrote:I have been trying to grow giants for some time... but, having some set backs.

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

bepah wrote:I have the reasons for your inclement weather:

1.) First snow in over 98 years in 2004. - Global warming
2.) Severe flooding in 2006. - Global warming
3.) Hurricane and severe flooding in 2008. Harlingen hasn't had a direct hit in over 40 years for a hurricane. - Global warming
4.) Cause of global warming - Hot air from Washington

Nonetheless, my desire to possess this elusive giant is unabated....maybe if there is global warming, I can grow a coconut palm too!
On the first 3, proponents of global warming do give extremes in weather, both high and low, as a part of the effects of global warming. On the 4th one, for every idiot in Washington, D. C., there are millions throughout the country who put them in Washington. D. C.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bepah

Post by bepah »

I can maybe accept that global warming is occurring, although we have had a very mild summer this year,so far. It was only 85 degrees here today, normal would be in the mid-90s, and forecast is for the same or a bit warmer. Tremendous gardening weather for us.

I have believed that during our lifespan we experience weather on a daily basis, while climate is something that extends well beyond what we can know from personal observation. Just 30 years ago, I was being bombarded from the same people that a nuclear winter was imminent.

This discussion is off topic and I will end my digression here......

I still want my D. giganteus, though.....
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
Roy

Post by Roy »

bepah wrote:I can maybe accept that global warming is occurring, although we have had a very mild summer this year,so far. It was only 85 degrees here today, normal would be in the mid-90s, and forecast is for the same or a bit warmer. Tremendous gardening weather for us.

I have believed that during our lifespan we experience weather on a daily basis, while climate is something that extends well beyond what we can know from personal observation. Just 30 years ago, I was being bombarded from the same people that a nuclear winter was imminent.

This discussion is off topic and I will end my digression here......

I still want my D. giganteus, though.....
Nuclear Winter! I believe we had that in Tampa, Christmas 1983. Dec. 24, 1983--low 80s F during the day. Dec. 25, 1983 a.m., 20 F.

Someone gave me a gift of a good size pot of D. giganteus this past Spring. I've already gotten 2 divisions from the original pot. It's probably the "crappy" clone since it came from Florida. I'm not sure if I want to allocate room in my backyard to plant it and grow a speciman. Probably not.
Roy Rogers
bepah

Post by bepah »

I'll pay the shipping.......
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
Roy

Post by Roy »

bepah wrote:I'll pay the shipping.......
Shipping from one State that has some tough laws about movement and shipping of plants to another State that has probably the toughest laws pertaining to shipping plants into the State, you and I would probably wind up at Gitmo; never to be heard from again.
Roy Rogers
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Roy,

I am pretty confident that Robert is now selling the Quail clone. I have seen Chuck's giganteus and he purchased it from Robert. It too looks like the Quail clone. The only place I visited when I went to Florida that had the crappy clone was at John Rogers' place.

One of the nurseries here in the valley that purchased all their bamboo from Florida about 8 years ago also only has the crappy clone. As soon as I have one to give them, I will donate so they will have one.

I think it is about timing. Depends on how long ago you got the D. Giganteus and who you got it from. If you have a small one and it has humongous leaves and culm sheath blades with no fuzz on the new culms, then perhaps you have the big one. I would sure try to find a place for it.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

BTW, I purchased one of my Quail clones from Robert. It is the same as I got from Jim Rehor... which is a clone from the one at Quail.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

The other identifying characteristic is the red coloring around the culm sheath for the D. Giganteus "Quail".
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy

Post by Roy »

Boonut,

Mine came from Charlie Crowley's place. A friend bought it as a present for me. I think he paid $125. It was a cutting in a 7 gal. pot. I don't remember seeing any big leaves and I think the culms do have some hairs on them. The next time, and I don't know when that will be, I'm down Charlie's way I'll stop in and see what his D. g. looks like in the ground.
Roy Rogers
boonut

Post by boonut »

The "hairy" one at a local nursery does look very nice. The culms arch way over like a fountain and it doesn't grow that large... perhaps 35 - 40 feet. It has been in the ground for at least 7 years. Huge, very pretty bush would be a better descriptor of that one. Of all the bamboo at this nursery, it is one of the more striking ones.

So... I like it. Leaves in the 8 - 10 inch range... about 3 inches wide. Like I said before, the hair does fall off eventually. The hair in the "sulcus" area is lighter colored. That was unusual also.

I will send pics as mine gets bigger. Mine have been in the ground about 2 - 3 years... don't remember for sure.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

bepah

Post by bepah »

At least we would not get a military trial......

and I swear I did not know the guy I picked up on the corner was a terrorist....really!
Roy wrote:
bepah wrote:I'll pay the shipping.......
Shipping from one State that has some tough laws about movement and shipping of plants to another State that has probably the toughest laws pertaining to shipping plants into the State, you and I would probably wind up at Gitmo; never to be heard from again.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
mike best
Location info: 0

Post by mike best »

I got my D. Giganteus from Chuck a year or so ago. I don't feel like going out in the yard with a flashlight and another glass of wine tonight and looking at the id tag on it but does anyone know if Chuck has the D. Giganteus "Quail"or the crappy clone?

Historically the earths temps have always fluctuated, sometimes quickly enough to destroy certain species, but the issue for me is not global warming, man made or earth made, the issue is we need to stop polluting ourselves and destroying species habitat regardless of global warming or anything else for that matter. All living things and Humans quality of life will be impacted in a negative way if we don't take measures to change and stop habitat pollution.

BooNut your study of the various D. Giganteus is note worthy and seems it should be listed in the species list.
Mike Best