Moso Wanted

Moderator: needmore

CJ_IS_HERE
Location info: 0

RE: Moso Wanted

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Not 1 leaf loss...we dropped to upper 20s for a week... but temp rose back above freezing once the sun was up. We had a few inches of snow on the ground too... I mulched the base of the plant with several inches and that was it.

I'll go take a few more pics... those posted are a month old or so... those culms are now 4-5 foot and look great.

Thanks
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Sorry for taking over this post... Maybe I should open a new post/topic on this. I did once before I think...or maybe it was another site.

Sorry BooMan
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Posted this same moso clumping topic on another site and got this reply:

Posted by kentuck_8b z8b TX (My Page) on Sun, May 4, 08 at 21:13

Looks like one of the Dendrocalamus'. Maybe Asper or Gigantea.
Kt

Any other possibilities?
I like the MOSO clumper best ;-)

Weird that my patch from same seeds stayed in this clump habit and a 20 gallon planter I traded to a local fella has taken off for him. Mine has been in ground near 3 years too.
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Without looking at the pictures I'd guess that a mystery clumper seedling is D. strictus. After looking at the pictures I'll stick with that.
mike best

Post by mike best »

It can't be strictus that would of died in the freeze, ("...upper 20s for a week...").

It's going to be hard for me to ID. Surely a temperate bamboo grower might know.

Seems it would of run by now if it was a runner.

Or maybe you had several different types of bamboo seed and the one you gave away was a runner?

It certainly not one of the Dendrocalamus and probably not bambusa as such a young plant with unestablished root system would of dropped its leaves and even died in the freeze.
Mike Best
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Hey CJ!

just saw the photos, and I would weigh in as that being moso.... looks like its getting alot of shade there, so I bet it is being typical moso and taking forever to do anything for you. moso is the only runner I know of that has that "velvet" feel to the culms, and one of your pics shows it pretty clearly on a small culm to the right of the plant.

maybe someone else thinks that Im wrong, but I would say moso is what ya got!

Gene
CJ_IS_HERE

Re: RE: Moso Wanted

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

[quote="mike best"]It can't be strictus that would of died in the freeze, ("...upper 20s for a week...").

It's going to be hard for me to ID. Surely a temperate bamboo grower might know.

Seems it would of run by now if it was a runner.

Or maybe you had several different types of bamboo seed and the one you gave away was a runner?

Not likely that seeds are different... I germinated 50 or so from 1 batch of seeds and as they sprouted...I placed them in 3 seperate 20 gallon clay planters... the quicker of the 3 was the first to go into the ground...the other 2 stayed in plantes on the deck. I would take a plant or 2 from time to time from the planters to trade. All 3 planters were identical year 1. Year 2 fairly close. End of year 2 I placed 8 culms of largest growth into the ground. It does get alot of filtered sun...not much direct sun as its under several tall pines. Traded off the 2nd planter of Moso to a local guy for several Elephant ears, banannas and palms... all huge plants :-0 9 in total. A few months later I saw him at a local nursery buying up $1 tropicals... as was I ;-) He told me his Moso is / has run nicely. So my clumping mystery continues.
Blessings
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Moso Wanted

Post by mantis »

mike best wrote:It can't be strictus that would of died in the freeze, ("...upper 20s for a week...").
Mine survived a week of hitting mid-20's. It wasn't pretty after that, but it came back with vigor this spring. It still wasn't pretty, so I dug it up and gave it away.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

MOSO seeds are very recognizable and it doubtful that CJ had a mix of seeds. The culms are fuzzy, which fits with MOSO. Now if CJ could just describe the oral setae and the seeds that were planted.

At the moment I'm leaning toward it being MOSO and am sure it will eventually decide to run.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
mike best

Post by mike best »

Close up photos of Phyllostachys edulis is lacking on Bambooweb.info. I shot a pic of mine. Does it look like Moso?

(Wow, my crazy Nikon cool pix 7600 finally decided to focus with the very first 2 shots instead of me having to take 30 out of focus shots first).

Mike Best
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Well pic above looks identical to my plant and seeds were the largest I've ever planted... near an 3/4 to 1 inch in most cases...
Blessings
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Sounds like a MOSO to me.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
webgator

Post by webgator »

The pics you posted above Mike look identical to my moso that have been grown from seed.

Too bad CJ you don't have pics of the seed that you germinated. That would have helped immensely. However, I do have pics of my moso seeds, maybe yours were similar?

The Strictus seeds were fatter and more oval shaped. Thought I had a pic of those too but apparently not.
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Webgator, My seeds look like your pic... a SPEAR head is how I can best describe them. Largest seeds I've had... and I've tried 20+ seed types.
Blessings,
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
mike best

Post by mike best »

correction/edit: booman not madmad. (I got madman from another post)

It looks like the consensus is that we all have Moso.

EXCEPT FOR BOOMAN?:lol:

Did BOOMAN ever connect with any Moso or did he once again get left in the cold for a second time?

Can he actually grow it in Texas?

More mystery's left to solve!
Mike Best