False bamboo

Moderator: needmore

green99
Location info: 0
Location: North of San Francisco 300 miles near the coast. Zone 8-9

knot

Post by green99 »

There is a type of knotweed that grows on the coast north and south of where I am. It has really huge leaves, and I'm guessing that it's "Himalayan knotweed". I'm knot sure if it's as hardy as the smaller leaved chinese type.
If I lived where you are I'd probally have a knot weed collection. I'll dig up a start for you if I'm in those areas.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

airborne alien invaders

Post by Thuja »

Dot (.) or sonOfdad of Iowaboo Province wrote:Kurt, would it be wise to assume that j. knotweed spreads more aggressively than phyllostachys? One advantage it has over bamboo is its flowering.
I think flowering is the big consideration, especially with seed that will go airborne via wind or bird. In my opinion Phyllostachys isn't invasive in our climate, esp. when compared with some of the prolific fruiting "flowerers."
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

How tall does this "Himalayan knotweed" get? I decided to look up the various polygonums up because I never heard of himalayan variety before. The most common is the obvious japanese knotweed which can get to 10' tall, then some awesome form that is listed as giant knotweed that can get 12'+ with huge leaves and himalayan possibly smaller form? to 6ft height. Seems like references state different facts and info about them. Probable hybrids could be a result.

8)
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

thujaMike wrote:I think flowering is the big consideration, especially with seed that will go airborne via wind or bird. In my opinion Phyllostachys isn't invasive in our climate

Agreed. That's why I like dioecious plants to a certain extent, which polygonum species are in general. But they do hybridize freely between different species, which is a negative. With some dioecious plants, there is only one species around, such as the ailanthus. Most people hate the plant, which granted, is rightfully so because of the invasive seed explosion. Yet, my journey still continues for a male of that species.

I do not know why these plants with high vigor call out my name, but I follow the path that I was intended to stay on. 8)
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I found this pic at http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/weed%20info/Poly ... chyum.html showing different leaf types of 3 of the knotweeds.

(Left)giant, (center)japanese, (right) himalayan

8)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Yes, Plant Delights, thank you for knowing the company name now I can rest...I really like their selection but as you said the prices :shock:

I saw in the last issue that they had 2 or 3 Fargesias listed now.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

RE: False bamboo

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Dahlia imperialis, or Tree Dahlia, might be an interesting bambooish plant. I planted one last spring. Only got one cane, but boy was it a whopper! THe foliage died with the frost, but I left the cane and was amazed at how durable it is. Walked over to it this spring and expected it would break off with the slightest pull, but boy was I ever mistaken. Its a little bit flaky, but I wonder if it has any building/ craft potential.

Too bad I had to move and will have to acquire another.

Your zone might be a push, but you could try it right up next to your house or I wonder if it could be dug and stored like other Dahlias. :?:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

hoe_NC, you should have dug it up. That's what I will do if I have tree dahlia. Many cold-climate people grow it and store in basement. Did it ever flower for you or is your season too short? I think the general idea is to grow it for the foliage effect because it doesn't flower for the north.
8)
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

I dont know if it could be the same "japanese" plant above, but a friend of mine cant get rid of it from her back yard. Same Rhizome system and it goes across her yard. She warns me every week about how crazy I am for growing bamboo. -eastlandia
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Brian, right next to the railroad tracks at the crossing in Helmsburg; next to the guardrail about 2/3 of the way up the BIG hill on Helmsburg road by Country Club road; and right at the edge of the bean/corn field on Helmsburg road before it becomes Main Street in Nashville at the little bridge, are patches of Polygonum Cuspidatum. I bet it is what your friend is calling bamboo. The patch on the edge of town has outlasted the farmer for the past 3 years when he has mowed & sprayed it several times. I see it is now about 1 foot tall and still spreading...We need to send Lance some....
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I would have a perfect spot for it too. I would grow it along a fenced-out ditch by a goat pasture while I watch its spread. If too aggressive, boom, take down the fence and let the goats at it. In west iowa, eastern invasive plants are considered just vigorous. I also think since 99.9 % :lol: in this region is used for agriculture, most invasive plants don't have a chance.
I would also be interested if the knotweed green99 sees growing could be giant, that would also be fun to play with.

I'll show a pic in other plants and landscaping of a cool plant I started growing last year. (NOt knotweed related.)
8)
green99

Post by green99 »

Hey Lance,
The local coastal knotweed is indeed the giant type. In full sun with no irigation it gets close to 8 feet tall, but I have also seem it growing close to 15 feet tall. That's a good pick of the different leaf sizes. I haven't seen the Japanese kind, but the Chinese one grows in my old home of Montana to about 8'.
I went and dug some of the Himalayan type up a few years ago, and got a few strange looks. Less of "why are you stealing my favorite knotweed", and more of "why the heck would someone want that invasive plant". It's really beautiful, and I'll try to get you a start sometime soon.
green99

Post by green99 »

Whoops, ignore that last post.
The leaf on the right looks to me like the Chinese knotweed. The one on the left looks like the local one, and I thought the big leafed one WAS the Himalayan version. I wonder how it came to this area? I haven't seen the smaller leafed versions here, so the hybridization probally didn't occur here(if it is a hybrid).
Kyle
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I haven't seen the Japanese kind, but the Chinese one grows in my old home of Montana to about 8'.
Polygonum cuspidatum is sometimes called by either name(japanese or chinese)
In full sun with no irigation it gets close to 8 feet tall, but I have also seem it growing close to 15 feet tall

Is the rainfall lacking in the summer where the knotweed only gets 8'? I'm intrigued by a plant that can zoom up to 15 ft and have huge leaves.
I'll try to get you a start sometime soon.
Thanks, I greatly appreciate the help
8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Lance,

Have you tried Petasites japonica?