Does anyone have any hardneck garlics?

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Does anyone have any hardneck garlics?

Post by stevelau1911 »

Some of my softneck garlics planted 2-3 weeks ago are starting to emerge which means they have sunk their roots into the soil. This particular spot happened to be un-mulched so I could easily see the little sprout emerging. I believe that early December is the ideal time to plant garlic because there's enough time for them to spread roots and settle in, while tops shouldn't get so tall to the point where it becomes vulnerable to deep freezes.

Checking out my neighbor's garlic, it appears he only put them in 1-2 weeks earlier than I did based on the growth so far.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Does anyone have any hardneck garlics?

Post by stevelau1911 »

One thing I can see pretty clearly is that there is a clear difference between fertilized and unfertilized garlic. The ones in the top picture got pelletized 10-10-10 fertilizer about 7 weeks ago while the others didn't get fertilizer.

This is a different species from the ones above, but any garlic that is growing without much competition for sun or growing space with tons of garlic can get enourmous with almost 2 inch diameter leaves.