Getting more fargesias

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Getting more fargesias

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'm actually itching to collect some more fargesias that don't happen to be in my collection yet. I have nitida, rufa, denudata, robusta/ robusta wolong, murielae, but need to get more. I know they grow really slow, but they are still thriving in my climate.

I do have a few plants left for trading, but if anyone has any cold hardy clumping bamboo to spare, let me know.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Getting more fargesias

Post by johnw »

Steve - Why not get some Fargesia plugs from Booshoot - Jiu #1, Scabrida, murieliae ? Their material is clean as a whistle.

Otherwise trades with easterners would be my second choice, someone east must have Jiu 1,4 & 9 as well as Geneva.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Steve, besides 'Nanping' which Fargesia did you get and why those?

John, aren't Booshoot plugs all in-vitro? I looked into them once and the minimum order eliminated me at that time.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
djmh

Post by djmh »

Brad, I contacted Fran Sharp at Booshoot in Wash. (booshoot.com). They have "21 cell plug full flat only. Each flat has 21 plants and each plug is $9.00" Their plants are tissue culture - no seed. You also need a re-sale license. Their located north of Seattle. Donna H
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I just got the entire jiuzhaigou collection from bamboo gardens since I've found them to be dependable, and you also know how easily I can propagate these guys eh. I picked them because they are hardy, don't take up too much space, and look cool. Of course I intend to quarantine all the plants for a while due to the risk of mites, but I should have a stronger clumping collection pretty soon :lol:

Once I get a chance, I may even scale it down beyond 1 shoot bud propagation, and try to micro-propagate the fargesia rufa, by tissue culture, not because I need more plants, but more about seeing if it can be done, then see how those plants will compare to the non tissue culture ones.

I know where to get all the other tools and setup, but I need a good source for a nice pressure cooker.

This looks like a decent source
http://www.planttc.com/products.html?pa ... egory_id=8

Now, I may have to think about what other bamboos I get next.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Steve - Try and source fargesia (borinda) yunnanensis. 30 feet tall, half inch thick culms and what little sources I can find say hardy -25C. Of course the odds are it isnt quite that hardy, especially it being thrown between borinda (not quite as hardy) and Fargesia. I cant find info on here about it. I started it from seed. The best thing is i trust the seed source (RPS http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/BorYun.shtml . It does not look anything like the fungosa I tried. Has but out 6 inches of growth since june, for a second year seedling that isnt too bad. If it makes the winter, I am hopin for this to really take off next year.

There were also some fargesia species on the ABS auction... .I guess thats over now :(
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

djmh - And Booshoot's stuff is clean as a whistle. Let us know how clean they were, the ones I got were spotless.

Yes Brad all in vitro but the Europeans say there are not so many problems with the Farges as coloured Phyllos. I recommend Boo-shoot because you can be almost certain they are mite-free. I think best to wait until they have a good root mass before facing a winter outdoors though.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia