Anyone need my aureosulcata spectabilis?

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Anyone need my aureosulcata spectabilis?

Post by stevelau1911 »

I severed off the rhizomes late last fall, so there's no more than 2ft of rhizome growth so far this year which is still the greatest growth out of any of my bamboos so far this year. One thing I was able to confirm was that this green broad fork I've been using can get this stuff out far easier than using a shovel to get these out. It took less than 5 minutes, when it would have taken maybe over 20 minutes to get this out with the risk of busting a shovel using a standard shovel.

That shanghai III does have very prominent internodes, but it does look significantly different from the prominens that I have which can be seen in the same picture.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Given that a couple of the divisions failed, and after sending away some of them, I still have about half of them left so I'll probably post a craigslist ad on these guys. They generally survive as long as the shoot to rhizome connection is not compromised as the remaining ones are generally the tallest ones, and aureosulcatas don't bend well. I'll probably sell off all, but the 15 gallon one.

I just brought them under full sun so of course there will be a bit of leaf curl.
Rufledt
Location info: 0

Post by Rufledt »

Hey Steve Im interested in one of those divisions. I'm thinking of planting some or keeping some in a planter, I haven't decided. I have an aureosulcata Harbin that didn't do so well last winter in a planter, so I thinking of getting some spectabilis for the increased hardiness now that i'm in NY. I doubt the Harbin will make it this winter where I am unless I figure out a way to fit it in the garage or something. If you want it in trade I could put it in a better planter (current one is falling apart) and you might have better luck. It pretty much top killed last winter but there is a lot of root mass still alive. I will say, though, it's highly unimpressive compared to your spectabilis pic. I doubt my harbin's 1 new shoot is above 1' high.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

What climate zone are you in? NY has climate zones ranging from 4a to 7b depending on where you are in the state, and I just happen to be in a decent zone where i can grow most temperature bamboos. Also what part of NY are you in? I know Syracuse is particularly cold. I think a large flat planter would work well with spectabilis since it doesn't seen to get that deep, so a squat 25 gallon pot may work. If you don't mind rhizome pruning, you could simply put it in the ground.

I'm selling off the smallest ones at $10 per piece, and if you are close enough, you may be able to come for the larger non-shippable ones. I'm only interested in keeping 1 piece at the end.

You can PM me with what you have especially if you have a relatively uncommon boo or plant to trade.