looking for several types.....

Moderator: needmore

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

looking for several types.....

Post by ghmerrill »

if you look on my profile, you can see what I am looking for... pretty much any species I dont have is fine, but I am trying to double up on some of the clumpers as well, so if I have it, ask anyway! specificly, also looking for
Ps. japonica Tsutsumiana (my tiny plant was a victim of a horrible gopher attack)
Other japonica forms

I can let you know whats what when you PM me- I have several types for trades, although some need to stabilize for a while.

Thanks!
CJ_IS_HERE
Location info: 0

Re: looking for several types.....

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Hmm I have a 25 Gal planter of Arrow 12-16 foot with 12 mature culms and shoots emerging now.
But you have that.
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

:lol: yeah, at last count, I had 122 1 gal pots, 73 3 gal pots, and 4 5 gal pots of arrow... got PLENTY of that one! :wink:
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

What do you have a slice of thats zone 7 friendly and looks great? Out of the ordinary type boo... My Buddahs ,Y kimmei , shiro, and Wamin are the ones I like most in my batch.
Looking to get something out of the norm regarding looks and contrast... suggestions?
Thanks
Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

they need to grow out some, but I got some Pleo. shibayanus Tsuboi from growinghabit that are all potted up now, and some various Pleos from mantis- Pleo argentiostriatus, chino, and fortunei...
CJ_IS_HERE

Post by CJ_IS_HERE »

Blessings,
CJ
New business Venture
come take a look
www.2plus7.com/CJClute
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

"whats the growth habit?"
http://halfsidebamboo.info/wordpress/wp ... tsuboi.jpg

Typical Pleo....

TAKE OVER THE WORLD
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

That image surprised me. Does 'Tsuboi' put out more white leaves as it gets older? The small plant I have doesn't have *any* indication of having leaves that aren't green with the white stripe down the center.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

from what I have seen on the one I have in the ground, and the ones I potted, the highly varigated leaves dont come out until the plant has established some. growinghabit (marci), who I got mine from saw the same thing happen to hers- it was georgeous, then she read somewhere that you should mow all pleos, so she did, and then it took a while for the plant to regain its former splendor.... the early leavs with just the white center stripe are pretty typical, but it wont stay that way long- its a pretty quick growing little plant!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I remember seeing those photos somewhere (here?), and thinking they were really nice! Not just from a bamboo perspective, but from an overall garden photo perspective. Were those posted on this forum, or the bamboocraft forum? Seems like such a long time ago that I saw those. =)

(Sorry to hijack the thread -- we're supposed to be talking about exchanges here.)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have seen several really nice photos of Tsuboi... and some really bad ones! in my opinion, to get good looking Tsuboi, I agree with Paul Whittaker- in taming the dragon he recomends only rhizome pruning or other activity on one side of the grove, so you are not disturbing it too much. I think marci would agree after seeing what hers has gone through.

and I dont mind the hijack... someone might have something they want to trade for some Tsuboi now :wink:
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Most Pl. generate more white in their leaves when they are pruned, especially in winter. I cut mine back 2 to 3 times a year to get max white color. Pl. s. tsuboi is a beautiful plant and needs less prune to get the white/green variegation. The white variegation gets burned quickly if it gets too much sun. Pl. can't be exposed to more than 1/2 sun and does best in a less sun zone. Rgds