P. nigra Henon

Moderator: needmore

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

P. nigra Henon

Post by ghmerrill »

I have a bunch of 3 gallon Henon, if anyone is interested, will sell cheap. I should be able to rinse the rootballs and bend them to fit them in a large flat rate postal mailing box, so shipping would be around $13 anywhere in the states.
bambootony

Re: P. nigra Henon

Post by bambootony »

Hello ghmerrill,
Is this Black Bamboo?
Is it clumping or running?
From Bamboo Tony
40 miles N.E of st louis
zxylene
Location info: 0

Post by zxylene »

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is a runner, Giant timber boo, culms of green that turn a grayish white. Does any one have this growing around Pennsylvania? I am around zone 6a. I know it is supposed to be cold hardy but to what extent I don't know. This is one Bamboo that I would like to get.

Bill
Joseph Clemens
USDA Zone 9 (Some winters Zone 8)

Post by Joseph Clemens »

bambootony,

You should use the photo section of this forum/site to check them out for yourself. Go to "Photos" above and then select Bamboo Photos. It allows you to search for and selectively view the different varieties.
Joseph Clemens
Tucson, Arizona, USA
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

zxylene wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is a runner, Giant timber boo, culms of green that turn a grayish white. Does any one have this growing around Pennsylvania? I am around zone 6a. I know it is supposed to be cold hardy but to what extent I don't know. This is one Bamboo that I would like to get.

Bill
It does quite poorly for me in a 5b/6a, at one point I had all the US forms of Nigra and have culled them all save for a few culms of Megurochiku I haven't given up on. They just don't take our cold. Henon top kills every year and after 7 years is still under 6 feet tall so it is getting mowed down save for a transplant in another spot to see if it does better there.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Joseph Clemens wrote:bambootony,

You should use the photo section of this forum/site to check them out for yourself. Go to "Photos" above and then select Bamboo Photos. It allows you to search for and selectively view the different varieties.

Thank you Joseph for the advise!!!
I was up looking at photos of Bamboo untill 3 am reading and dreaming I lived someplace warm!!!!!
I see now that the Henon is a large green running bamboo...
Sure wish it would grow here in illinois...
Maybe someday if I get enough of the yellow grove to act as a wind-brake I could insulate with it and plant something like henon.
You guys will really laugh when I get my green-house built.
From bamboo tony
40 miles N.E of st louis
ueberwinden

Post by ueberwinden »

Do you still have the Henon? If so how much are you getting for each?

Michael
Rare, Tropical, Unique