Moderately unusual boos available

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Moderately unusual boos available

Post by needmore »

One of these days I'm going to source a really large one - either form - and see if it takes off better. The Shimofuri form seems to be 1st choice among chipmunks, squirrels, and vole/shrews. I've had to try 4 different starts of it and only one that I put in a wire cage has survived but is no larger and has not run. The Turtles in TN told me that theirs also seems to be the top choice among these varmints. Chipmunks in particular seem drawn to new shoots.

If you do find a large one I'd be happy to work out a trade for it, I'm picturing one that is in the 3-5 foot range and jammed filled with rhizome!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

from what I have seen here, with the simofuri form, I would agree on it being first choice for the critters. I have yet to have one take off because of the wildlife eating it from underground. my current attempt is in year 3, and looks like 4 small one gallon size plants that were just planted. last year it got fragmented by a gopher, and died back severely. it may upsize next year due to me keeping the wildlife out of it so far, but we still have a long way to go, and once the rains hit here, and the ground softens, the gophers begin moving around ALOT more.

I will check with Rosemary and see what they have and if its in larger size. Im sure she is going to want $45 or so for a 5-7 gal size, and shipping would run about the same, in situ. do you mind it being rinsed some to get some weight off?

since Alen knows where you live, it might just be cheaper to fly back, rent the uhaul, and he and I visit your place around 3 am :wink:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Wait, what plant are we talking about here? I think Brad's 'Shiroshima' (as in H. tranquillans) is a mistake -- he meant 'Simofuri' (as in S. kurliensis), right?

I'm just trying to figure out which one is the critter favorite. (One thing I have no shortage of is chipmunks; right now they're pretty fun to watch running around the yard with their faces bulging with acorns.)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan_L wrote:Wait, what plant are we talking about here? I think Brad's 'Shiroshima' (as in H. tranquillans) is a mistake -- he meant 'Simofuri' (as in S. kurliensis), right?

I'm just trying to figure out which one is the critter favorite. (One thing I have no shortage of is chipmunks; right now they're pretty fun to watch running around the yard with their faces bulging with acorns.)

I was pretty sure he was meaning simofuri rather than another species entirely....

as for which the critters love, its ther Sasa kurilensis 'Simofuri'. I have lost two large 5 gal plants to the buggers over the last few years, and my third attempt is in a holding pattern due to predation. I would MUCH rather have voles and chipmunks over gophers- at least with the above ground rodents you can poison them and get rid of them. I have yet to find a so called gopher bait that actually works. gas bombs seem to be the only thing that work, and those for only a short period of time, and only after you have already found that the dang things are eating your plants..... :twisted:
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan_L wrote:Wait, what plant are we talking about here? I think Brad's 'Shiroshima' (as in H. tranquillans) is a mistake -- he meant 'Simofuri' (as in S. kurliensis), right?

Why whatever do you mean Alan, it says Shimofuri doesn't it???? :drunken:

BTW - Gene the vole/shrews are underground verminators....
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Brad, are you out doing testing on the local beer situation in anticipaiton of the mid states chaper hosting the ABS conf?
:wink:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

ghmerrill wrote:Brad, are you out doing testing on the local beer situation in anticipaiton of the mid states chaper hosting the ABS conf?
:wink:

I heard back from Rosemary today... she said she has two 3 gal that are very full, and a larger one. she did not give me a price on the larger one, but shes pretty proud of her 3's- $45 each is what she wants :shock:
that was for the S. kurilensis Simofuri. she does not have any of the straight form potted.
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Alan_L wrote:Ah Brad, I was thinking you almost had Gene convinced that a drive to Indiana (with a stop in St. Louis) was necessary!

Gene -- remember that Brad still has that nice big 'Vittata' that is going to bite it this winter. How can you pass that up? :wink:

Hey Alan,
I would be happy to bring some boo back from Brads for you.
You could meet me in Collinsville.
I plan to go to Brad's next W/E if he is available....????
40 miles N.E of st louis