Wanted: Most Cold Hardy Bamboo Zone 3/4

Moderator: needmore

stover954rr
Location info: 0
NY

Wanted: Most Cold Hardy Bamboo Zone 3/4

Post by stover954rr »

Hi Everyone.
I know it is a stretch, but I am looking for some bamboo that can survives -30f. If that is not possible, maybe something that will experience top kill, but will grow back vigorously in the spring. I am looking for something that grows and spreads FAST as well. If you have any ideas please let me know!

I was thinking one of the Phyllostachys species, but am open to other ideas.

Thank you!

FYI I am in NY and would pay the shipping +
I might live in Zone 3/4, but my house is a solid Zone 7!
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: Wanted: Most Cold Hardy Bamboo Zone 3/4

Post by ghmerrill »

Your best bet is probably going to be smaller species that will bend over and get covered by the snow. Pleoblastus and Indocalamus are two genus that come to mind.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Loo
ghmerrill wrote:Your best bet is probably going to be smaller species that will bend over and get covered by the snow. Pleoblastus and Indocalamus are two genus that come to mind.
Can't agree more, you will have better results with ground cover bamboo's that you can mow each spring to remove the dead canes.

M
M
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

The thing is, when somebody says "I'm looking for bamboo" I'd bet money they want tall species, not the groundcovers or even shrubby ones.
stover954rr
NY

Post by stover954rr »

You are correct Alan. I have some arrow bamboo that I planted at my folks house (zone 6) and I really enjoy the height. I was really hoping for something that was 8'+
I might live in Zone 3/4, but my house is a solid Zone 7!
jd.

Post by jd. »

stover954rr wrote: If that is not possible, maybe something that will experience top kill, but will grow back vigorously in the spring. I am looking for something that grows and spreads FAST as well.
If you're partial to a Phyllostachys species, try Ph. aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'

In a location of inevitable top growth destruction, Ph. aureosulcata recovers most vigorously, sending up dense clusters of new shoots in the spring even from a small plant added the year before. Additionally, multiple growers have reported the 'Spectabilis' form as being the most likely to endure winter among all Phyllostachys species.

Meanwhile, a Phyllostachys bamboo whose tops survive the winter will spread faster and grow much larger. If you live in a snowy zone 4, there's still hope. In late autumn, bend the tops to the ground using weights such as logs or bricks and bury them completely in mulch. When winter comes, pile on the snow. Next April when most of the freezing weather has passed, remove the weights and free the bamboo culms and branches from the mulch. With enough additional snow cover during the winter, even a thinner layer of mulch can preserve green leaves and save the tops.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I think that Iowaboo is closest to your zone. Perhaps if he gets a chance to get a tractor shut off for more than 5 minutes to scarf food, he can let you know what has worked best for him. I seem to recall that he has he had some success with aureosulcatas, and he got a parvifolia a couple years ago, so he might be able to tell you you how that one Is doing.
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

Can't think of anything that will survive -30F.

Do you have a place to keep potted bamboo indoors in the winter, like a garage or something? Mine lived for months with almost no light. They came out healthier than the plants in the ground and I'm in zone 6a.

Not sure if that appeals to you but that is one way to keep it alive.
Any bamboo that survives my care is "Lucky Bamboo"

The green color of my "black" bamboo contrasts beautifully with the green color of my "red" japanese maple
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Will have Ph. bissetii, -23 min in early fall. Have -17 min species that will be available in early fall as well. PM me if interested. Rgds