Bissetii grove starter plants

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Bissetii grove starter plants

Post by needmore »

I'm seriously toying with the idea of closing my nursery which brings up the question of what to do with current inventory? I've been letting my inventory levels run down and don't have much left but I do have a supply of excellent bissetii that is READY to go into the ground. These are multi-cane, extremely well rooted 14-19 inch pots with all of them a minimum of 7' tall, many in the 9'-12' range. These are perfect for starting screening groves, being very full lush pots. In a few weeks I'll have to either divide or up-pot them and would rather see them go into the ground.

Priced at a good deal, I would also consider trading them for something? Not sure what I'd trade them for but am open to ideas. WAY too large for shipping, these would require some truck/trailer space to haul so you'd need to be close or arrange for shipping.

Let me know if you are interested in wholesale or a trade...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
sully0family

Re: Bissetii grove starter plants

Post by sully0family »

Brad, what is it that makes you want to stop as a nursery? For my own knowledge I would like to know. I would like to try it in maybe 2 years because nobody in my state sells bamboo as far as I know. I know in this state people will try to talk you down in price till they almost steal it from you; kills me. Btw. Wish I could grab those Bissetii, but you know someone will.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Brad - It's certainly difficult managing all the aspects of running a nursery from the paperwork to the care of the plants and everything in between. Propagating rare plants for the love of it and then the public doesn't want to pay a fare price. And then the hassles of packing and shipping which takes hours and no way to recoup that time and effort. We won't even mention the chain store horrors. Sorry to hear the news but I can fully understand what a drain it can be. Hope you will soon have time to sit back :wink: and enjoy your plants.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore

Post by needmore »

Your situation will surely be different so you can't go by my experience.

I am only very part-time, open by appointment on weekends only so not a real big time suck or anything. I hate shipping plants and REALLY hate selling small plants, particularly in a cold climate where I think you need large, well-rooted bamboo to get going with so all I have in inventory is too large for shipping, and not so easy for customers to haul in SUV's etc.

My current inventory will need to be up-potted or divided, plus I need to plan on fall digs for next year, then over wintering, then another year of daily watering, plus customer appointments/phone calls/emails and am suddenly thinking maybe not? I'd rather see what I have get into someone's yard soon - they are perfect for planting right now - and think about future propagation/closing down fully in a few weeks.

I am a collector & gardener who has been trying to recoup some investment by selling screening bamboo but maybe I'm done with that? Need to decide soon as I have a few large parvifolia, nuda, bissetii, harbin inversa blah blah that either have to be dug or cut down.
needmore

Post by needmore »

O.K., plants all gone now...