Bamboo Nursery Drive From Houston, Texas

Moderator: needmore

Weatherman1968
Location info: 0

Bamboo Nursery Drive From Houston, Texas

Post by Weatherman1968 »

:| Anybody know of a good nursery(s) within a days drive there and back of Houston to buy bamboo seedlings, small with at least a decent selection/prices, worth the drive?
l bamboo
sully0family

Re: Bamboo Nursery Drive From Houston, Texas

Post by sully0family »

If your looking for a low cost way of obtain bamboo I would say from a rhizome. I've never had a seedling but maybe some day. I tried nigra "Black" from a rhizome last year and 2 of 10 came up; come to found out, the " Black" is a hard one to get from rhizome and others weren't . Anyway, when it comes to bamboo, if you want to shorten the years to reach maturity, it is never cheap. In Houston, I bet , If you wait , somebody will tell you where to get seedlings, because with your climate, there is more to choose from ; and this is my question; how far behind is a seedling compared to a rhizome off, lets say, a 3 year plant?
Weatherman1968

Post by Weatherman1968 »

Thanks for the response, I'm just started getting into bamboo. Your right about the climate. I am originally from San Antonio but the humidity is just miserable here in Houston; but you can grow a lot of different plants here! Thank god for A/C seriously...
Samajax

Post by Samajax »

I've bought quite a few bamboos over at Caldwell Nursery- in Rosenberg?

http://www.caldwellhort.com/

Great selection of clumpers- and lots of adult specimens so you can see what they look like when mature.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

You might be able to get in contact with Carole Meckes who has perhaps hundreds of bamboos both temperate and tropical clumpers. You can probably get lots of large field divisions from her seeing that she's only in Austin Texas, close enough for a road trip. The best time is probably February or March right before shooting season, but I would suggest getting in contact with her as she has lots of mature groves. You might be able to get it free or at least very cheap from her.

http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/member.php?u=2