Bissetii giveaway

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Bissetii giveaway

Post by bamboothew »

I have a plant that has been in the ground since fall 2011, sold to me as dulcis but I figured out pretty quickly it wasn't. This Spring I think I have positively id'd it as bisseti. I could pot up some divisions and likely sell them locally but the problem is I have no way of knowing if this is the regular or dwarf version so I couldn't state any expected height, since I suspect bissetii will get over 40 feet here but the dwarf likely only half that.

I need the ground space for my real dulcis, so if anyone has need for a very hardy green screening bamboo of unspecified height potential, let me know and we can make some arrangements for this fall when divisions can be reliably dug. The new culms this Spring are still short enough that shipping divisions should be pretty easy, I think.
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bissetii giveaway

Post by needmore »

FoxD and I were visiting a bamboo nursery one day and the owner showed us his dulcis grove, which for some reason had all bissetii canes & new shoots coming up in it as well :wink: I didn't point it out to him because I would have been WRONG so I hope yours came from elsewhere lest you can partially blame me!

Strange to mix up those 2 species, they share no common features I can think of.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Yep, they don't look too much alike! Mine came from an ornamental grass nursery from which I had ordered several grasses and also ordered dulcis and nuda, since the prices were decent and the bamboos added very little shipping cost to the order. The "dulcis" was a wrong id and the "nuda" so far doesn't seem right either (oral setae present), but time will tell as it matures a bit. I knew this place sucked as soon as I opened the box: the "nuda" was a 3 gallon that had been bare-rooted and stuffed in a plastic bag totally bare and there was way too much space in the box, so everything flopped around during shipping. No other plants were damaged but the 3 gallon nuda broke into 5 pieces :lol: Luckily, 3 pieces have proven viable and vigorous.
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
jd.

Post by jd. »

bamboothew wrote:The "dulcis" was a wrong id and the "nuda" so far doesn't seem right either (oral setae present), but time will tell as it matures a bit.
Apparently, Phyllostachys nuda can have sporadic oral setae present. See the last image in the first post: Nuda 'localis' misidentified
bamboothew wrote: No other plants were damaged but the 3 gallon nuda broke into 5 pieces :lol: Luckily, 3 pieces have proven viable and vigorous.
3 for 1 special! What a deal! :drunken:
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks, jd, somehow I missed that post!

I'll give mine another year or 2 anyway before I try a final determination, that way I can be more sure that my plant is showing its mature characteristcs. To me this bamboo does seem like nuda but I still have hesitations.
God Bless,

Matthew