Misc. available

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Misc. available

Post by fredgpops »

Didn't take out any divisions this year but have a few divisions available from last year. Trying to get pot watering as low as possible the balance of the year. 5 gal, P.n. Hale, multiculm, ready to explode: Two, 3 gal. P. Quanianensis, rare and hardy; 3 gal. P.a. Koi: 1 gal P. nidularia: 3 gal. Teagues Blue Bamboo, 2 gal. Y.a. Pitt White. Exchange or sell. I'm motivated. Have some non-bamboo plants also planted from last year. Contact me if interested. Rgds/Thanks
bamboothew

Re: Misc. available

Post by bamboothew »

I just wanted to recommend the Pseudosasa guanxianensis to folks, I've had mine about a year now and it seems so far to be hardy, vigorous, and tolerant of a full range of lighting. Mine is in almost full sun and got whipped by the wind all winter with no leaf damage of any kind. Re vigor, I think mine was a 3 gal or so plant and has produced in excess of 30 new shoots this year, that's the most shoot production for the first year of any bamboo I have. This one seems like a real winner! I'm hoping that it will prove to be hardier than japonica for zone 6ers, or at least by virtue of its vigor attain a more respectable height regardless of topkill. Before we will know, though, some colder winter growers need to try this plant!

Also, it has been my experience that Fred is a great guy to deal with and a brilliant propagator and plant shipper!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Wow - 30 new shoots. Very impressive. How low were the temps the Quan was exposed to? By the way, Bamboo Sourcery does not carry it any more so to my knowledge I'm the only source of this species in the US. The info I have i that it is grown extensively in Europe. Rgds
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Fred, my winter here was the mildest I remember and my absolute low here was about 22f so there was really no cold test, but this plant remained pristine in an exposed location in almost full sun through the major winds we had a few times, whereas my more established japonica in half-sun and a more sheltered location had a bit of burn, as did bambusoides cultivars in similiar conditions, as well as a newly planted viridula. This seems to indicate at least more hardiness to drying winds, at any rate it seems to me it would be at least as hardy as japonica. I'm actually hoping for a cold winter next year so we can tell more. To me, this seems like a very promising plant in many ways!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
walker

Post by walker »

I am interested in teague blue and pitt white how much would you want (if you still have them) if not do you have anything else that is ready to ship?
thanks,
gene