Free Buddha's belly in Northern New Jersey

Moderator: needmore

tomwright
Location info: 0

Free Buddha's belly in Northern New Jersey

Post by tomwright »

Hey all,

A few years ago I bought a bunch of bamboo for growing in pots.

One is a Buddha's Belly that I can not treat properly. It is growing, and actually doing fairly well, but it is sensitive and really needs to be indoors all the time. I bring it in for winter, but left it out too long last year, so it got frozen. It has spent this year recovering.

It really needs someone with tall ceilings or a greenhouse where temps do not go below 40f. Below that it starts to fade and die back.

Right now it is in a large ceramic pot. It is about 6-7 feet tall, plus the height of the pot. I trim my bamboo each fall when I bring them in.

The plant is free, I'll sell the pot if you want it, but I have a use for it.
tomwright

Re: Free Buddha's belly in Northern New Jersey

Post by tomwright »

It is still available, but with the weather coming up in Bergen County I do not know how long it will last. I cannot bring it in this year.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

I'd pass on that offer too. Its to cold in the winter for that plant here and it gets to big to be suitable house plant.
M
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

It really needs someone with tall ceilings or a greenhouse where temps do not go below 40f. Below that it starts to fade and die back.

Are you talking about the phyllostachys ventricosa?

I've had one for 3 years and last winter, I found out that it can survive under a tarp that gets as cold as 24F. If you have the same type of buddha belly, then it should be semi-hardy with protection. I have however split this up 3 times already and gave away divisions so it is still at a 3 gallon size now, but I think it is possible to let it get huge.
tomwright

Post by tomwright »

stevelau1911 wrote:

Are you talking about the phyllostachys ventricosa?

I've had one for 3 years and last winter, I found out that it can survive under a tarp that gets as cold as 24F. If you have the same type of buddha belly, then it should be semi-hardy with protection. I have however split this up 3 times already and gave away divisions so it is still at a 3 gallon size now, but I think it is possible to let it get huge.
Yes, P. Ventricosa. Bought from Bamboo Sourcery a few years back.

I am also considering giving away a Chimonobambusa quadrangularis 'Suow' and a Chimonobambusa marmorea "Red". I just do not have the room to take these all indoors, my house is not that large.

I plan to only keep a Ph. Nigra Hale and a Q. Tumidissinoda in pots.
tomwright

Post by tomwright »

moriphen wrote:I'd pass on that offer too. Its to cold in the winter for that plant here and it gets to big to be suitable house plant.

I trim my bamboos before bringing them indoors. So far only the Ventricosa and Nigra have needed that. The others have not gotten tall enough to need it.

But the ventricosa also spreads a bit, and also drops sap. Ants love it in the summer. Which is why it really needs a green house or some other large space like an atrium, where it can flourish.
tomwright

Post by tomwright »

Bambusa ventricosa