All the bamboos I want to add to my garden

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

All the bamboos I want to add to my garden

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'm summing up all the bamboos that I would like to add to my garden preferably in a 1-2 gallon size, or bare rhizome, and I wouldn't mind waiting until fall either because I would also have to take the divisions off my plants. I know some of these are rated for zone 8, but I'm planning on container growing a lot of bamboo.

All the bamboos I need
F Denudata
F Murielae
Thamnocalamus tessellatus
Chusquea culeou
Chusquea gigantea

P Aureosulcata Spectabilis
P Heteroclada Solid Stem
Phyllostachys bambusoides Richard Haubrich
Phyllostachys praecox Viridisulcata
P Edulis Gold Stripe
P Edulis Heteroclya
P Iridescens
P Viridis
P Kwangsiensis
Indocalamus tessellatus

I am willing to trade anything on my list as long as it is in the ground so that I'll be able to take divisions off. I also still have some Mosos, heterocladas, a couple rufas and vivax/vivax aureocaulus divisions that I took last week. Other plants such as palms, bananas, yuccas are also fair game as long as I have several of them.
Last edited by stevelau1911 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: All the bamboos I want to add to my garden

Post by ghmerrill »

stevelau1911 wrote:I'm summing up all the bamboos that I would like to add to my garden preferably in a 1-2 gallon size, or bare rhizome, and I wouldn't mind waiting until fall either because I would also have to take the divisions off my plants. I know some of these are rated for zone 8, but I'm planning on container growing a lot of bamboo.

F Denudata
F Murielae
Thamnocalamus tessellatus
Chusquea culeou
Chusquea gigantea

P Aureosulcata Spectabilis
P Heteroclada Solid Stem
Phyllostachys bambusoides Richard Haubrich
Phyllostachys praecox Viridisulcata
P Edulis Gold Stripe
P Edulis Heteroclya
P Iridescens
P Viridis
P Kwangsiensis
Indocalamus tessellatus

I am willing to trade anything on my list as long as it is in the ground so that I'll be able to take divisions off. I also still have some Mosos, heterocladas, a couple rufas and vivax/vivax aureocaulus divisions that I took last week. Other plants such as palms, bananas, yuccas are also fair game as long as I have several of them.
what are you offering to trade for this one??? :shock:

Chusqueas do very poorly in containers in general, so not sure how much luck you are going to have on 'em. locally, there is a very large, old planting of C. gigantea, and its almost total top kill here, from our winter low......
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

It looks like you already have Vivax Aureocaulus and Robusta on your wanted list so I guess Atrovaginata would be the only one I could possibly divide in the fall with hopes that it will produce a culm far away enough from the original planting so I can take a division. Even if I can take a division off of it, it will probably be a 1/2 inch culm or less since this plant is still pretty small, and I would likely stabilize it in the ground for 1-2 weeks too. You have a pretty good collection there.

Most of my potted bamboos don't even have rhizomes roaming throughout their pots yet so they're at least 2 years away from potential division. Based on placing my weather station sensors under my bamboos with plastic protection I've found out that these protected bamboos have at least 1 climate zone of added protection.

My plant list under my profile is completely up to date. I'll probably do a spreadsheet with google docs to include more info after all my bamboos shoot.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

actually it was more of a "GULP" comment....

look on bamboo gardens web site, for the price of Richard Haubrich. given the price, and the difficulty of propagation, according to them, its going to be a hard one to find. Im not sure how many boo nurseries have it available.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

Now that I happen to have about a dozen species that perform well in my climate, the only bamboos that I do intend to add would be ones that can survive with a little protection, but show something special. I probably already have the best performing green phyllostachys, so I might just continue collecting some fargesias.

The only phyllostachys which is available now in the U.S. that I would still consider is Bambusoides Richard Haubrich because of its variagated foliage.

On the other side, other bamboos that I would still add which are not available in the U.S. yet, but exist in France are some of the variagated moso varieties such as okina, tao kiang, and colombo. These are likely not hardy in zone 6, but they can still get through a winter pretty easily with a bit of protection. Since so moso is the most common bamboo grown from seed, there may be more varieties that emerge, possibly a super hardy form that can hold leaves well below 0F.

Here's a gallery with 13 pictures of Tao Kiang from Newfi.
http://www.newfibamboo.com/fr/les-bambo ... -tao-kiang

Here's Colombo from Italy.
http://lesbambous.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5588