Bamboo in St. Louis

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Bamboo in St. Louis

Post by Alan_L »

I have several marginal species for me (z6) in large pots: 20 gal or more. These are free to anybody who wants them and can pick up -- these are not shippable:
  • Ph. viridiglaucescens
    Ph. nigra 'Henon'
    Ph. nigra 'Megurichiku' (very little black striping)
    Ph. lithophila
    Ph. heteroclada (not marginal here, but I have an extra one)
    S. yashadake 'Kimmei'
    Bashania fargesii
I really want to get rid of these, as I don't have the room, they're outgrowing their pots, and I'm tired of trying to keep them watered. I'll post on Craigslist soon, and in a few weeks if there are no takers I'll probably just cut them all down and mulch them.

Again, these are all free if you want to come pick them up.

If I do get to the "cut them up" stage, I may have pieces to ship, but I'll probably charge for that because of the hassle.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Bamboo in St. Louis

Post by johnw »

Alan - Was it the cold or the heat that gave problems for the Bashania? Same issue as with Fargesias?

32c here yesterday but humidty not as bad as two weeks ago. I don't think I have seen it that hot here before. And we desperately need rain.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Alan, it looks like that list contains some you may have obtained from me in response to a similar post! FYI, this year the Megurochiku has emerged as one of my prettiest bamboo now that it has some size, it has taken a while but it sure has the beautiful henon form, I only left about a half dozen culms but am now letting/encouraging it to move to another area then I'll cull behind it. Also the Bashania this year is very attractive, finally gaining some height and I am also glad I kept that one.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw

Post by johnw »

Brad - My new 1 gallon Bashania from the spring I expected to be a thug. However it seems to be growing rather slowly though healthy enough. When does it become a thug? How's your qingchengshanensis faring?
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Brad -- you're right. All of these came from you. I'd try them in the ground here, but I just don't have space.

I suspect I'll be chopping them up in a month or less.
needmore

Post by needmore »

johnw wrote:Brad - My new 1 gallon Bashania from the spring I expected to be a thug. However it seems to be growing rather slowly though healthy enough. When does it become a thug? How's your qingchengshanensis faring?

My B fargesii was a vole buffet for the initial several years, I finally dug it out back to the original division and potted it after maybe 7-8 years of in-ground growth? Container grown for a year not knowing if there were any viable rhizome buds on those old rhizomes but it produced shoots so I replanted it a year later. Then it turned into a happy bamboo that has more than doubled in height but not run so much yet, is maybe 5m by 2cm now. The B quin is doing very well and I think I posted a photo here recently somewhere...
tncry

Post by tncry »

Johnw, my Bashania fargesii is a puny little thing. Shot up two tiny shoots about 4 inches tall. I think we'll be waiting a bit for this one to size up.
Out of all those plants from Bamboo Garden, the Sasamorpha divisions did the best. Maybe field dug divisions come with more rhizome and may be the way to go in the future?
TC in PEI
johnw

Post by johnw »

TC - I just counted 4 shoots on the Bashania. The Sasamorphas - 1 dead, 2 with 3-5 shoots. The Sasa kurilensis is not shooting but leafing well, seems awfully late now to do any shooting.

Did you get your cleaned up? Fingers crossed here after removing most leaves.

I think if we could get to St. Louis with a truck we'd be loading up!
needmore

Post by needmore »

Well I'd be on your way there so save room for some sasa, indocalamus and more...
tncry

Post by tncry »

You'd be my first stop needmore. I've thought about it many times but life's too busy right now. I think johnw and I would fill a tractor trailer if we ever head to the US.

TC in PEI
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Wow... free bamboo that size and types would be gone in a day on Craigslist around here. One of the local boo collectors or sellers in Portland would take them off your hands for sure.

There is someone posting here that wants instant timber bamboo. Either Henon and Megurochiku would both be good for that. I do not know where they live though.
Happy trails...