Looking for Fargesia

Moderator: needmore

canadianplant
Location info: 0

Looking for Fargesia

Post by canadianplant »

Instead of going hardcore this year, ive decided to try to add 2 more bamboo as a final stage of main plants for the yard. OF course, things that come to mind are the many areosulcata var. or some rarer bamboo, or something marginal, but I like how well my Rufa is doing, and would prefer to get a Murielae and a new gen seedling of nitida.

My problem is finding them. No stores here have bamboo in stock. No nurseries within driving distance have them either. The only company that has plants that I have found is Canadabambooworld, which after becoming paranoid about mite, will avoid this place.

That leads me to here. The only way I can get either of these 2 bamboo is to trade or buy from fellow enthusiasts. I would prefer to do this with canadians, just to avoid the red tape. Most of my plant stock is young, so I dont have much to trade other then some Arisaema consanguineum seedlings (one leaf so far), some palm seedlings (a few trachy types and one small needle palm) or I could pay for shipping plus a few extra bucks for the work.

IF someone offers something different, I may bite on that as well. I just want the 2 fargesia because of the reliable information regarding hardiness (yes, the new gen nitida are variable, but generally speaking Nitida is a tough bamboo according to my information). If you have something you are interested to see if I can get it to survive here "beyond the wall" (game of thrones reference :P ) I would take some suggestions.

Thanks
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Looking for Fargesia

Post by johnw »

johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Shoots-N-Roots

Re: Looking for Fargesia

Post by Shoots-N-Roots »

canadianplant wrote:Instead of going hardcore this year, ive decided to try to add 2 more bamboo as a final stage of main plants for the yard. OF course, things that come to mind are the many areosulcata var. or some rarer bamboo, or something marginal, but I like how well my Rufa is doing, and would prefer to get a Murielae and a new gen seedling of nitida.

My problem is finding them. No stores here have bamboo in stock. No nurseries within driving distance have them either. The only company that has plants that I have found is Canadabambooworld, which after becoming paranoid about mite, will avoid this place.

That leads me to here. The only way I can get either of these 2 bamboo is to trade or buy from fellow enthusiasts. I would prefer to do this with canadians, just to avoid the red tape. Most of my plant stock is young, so I dont have much to trade other then some Arisaema consanguineum seedlings (one leaf so far), some palm seedlings (a few trachy types and one small needle palm) or I could pay for shipping plus a few extra bucks for the work.

IF someone offers something different, I may bite on that as well. I just want the 2 fargesia because of the reliable information regarding hardiness (yes, the new gen nitida are variable, but generally speaking Nitida is a tough bamboo according to my information). If you have something you are interested to see if I can get it to survive here "beyond the wall" (game of thrones reference :P ) I would take some suggestions.

Thanks
Hi CP,

I've got lots of beautiful yearling nitida that I am trying to get planted out. Let me know if you're still interested and we can work out shipping you some bareroot. I collected the seed from two plants here in the US (Portland, Oregon). There's a forum post in "Exchanges" that has some more info and pictures (500+ Fargesia Nitida Seedlings Looking For A Good Home).

Happy bamboo!