Anyone juvenile moso plant or Moso mature rhizome?

Moderator: needmore

jd.
Location info: 0

Re: Anyone juvenile moso plant or Moso mature rhizome?

Post by jd. »

sfrangu wrote:I've found that Ph. Nigra Henon is quite resistant to drought. Still looking...
stevelau1911 wrote:I have found that the nigra cultivators do seem to do exceptionally well in pots.
Henon may well be one of the best choices for a large diameter bamboo there. A grower in a state on the west coast reported measuring some henon culms up to 6 inches in diameter.

If you like the look of the smaller leaves on the moso, another large bamboo you may consider is Phyllostachys parvifolia.

Despite the hot dry weather with repeated highs around 95°F (35°C) and lack of rain this past month, the oldest parvifolia bamboo in the ground here still looks lush and green while the surrounding bluegrass lawn has mostly turned color to a shade of tan. 8)
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I thought nigra liked cool conditions as in W. Oregon, N. California and W. Washington. Would S. California be okay for it?

Haven't been to S.Ca in the summer, it was pretty parched in December when there last.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
jd.

Post by jd. »

The local conditions will vary depending on the location relative to the coast or to the mountains.

Unfortunately the winter weather here is too cool for the nigra for me to comment on its heat tolerance based on personal experience. :(

If the local climate turns out too hot and dry for the henon and the parvifolia, maybe try some Phyllostachys mannii 'decora'. So far here, the decora seems among the most resistant to dry weather, hot or cold. :D
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

When you say "dry" do you mean humidity in the air or how much rainfall we get here? If it's only about the rainfall, I water my plants according to their needs, not counting on the rain. If it's about humidity... well that's another story. :D
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

johnw wrote: Haven't been to S.Ca in the summer, it was pretty parched in December when there last.
Interesting, here December is rainy, everything is lushy green, clean air, really beautiful especially with the warm, mild winter we usually have.
But of course, everything can be different depending on the area you've visited.
jd.

Post by jd. »

The decora appears to better tolerate the lack of humidity when there's lack of rain. :)

A lush green winter sounds ideal for bamboo. :D
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

I've also looked into Dendrocalamus varieties. Besides D. strictus, which one doesn't also require mostly a humid weather?
jd.

Post by jd. »

Maybe someone growing Dendrocalamus in the low desert can tell you. Of those bamboos, I've only read of Dendrocalamus strictus tolerating relatively low humidity.
johnw wrote:I thought nigra liked cool conditions as in W. Oregon, N. California and W. Washington.
There's this bit from the Bamboo Sourcery nursery website:
"all Ph. nigras except Ph. nigra 'Henon' [...] need cold winters and cooler summer nights to do well."

It appears that 'Henon' is the robust one. 'Megurochiku' reported to be similar in form and growth habit to 'Henon' may be another bamboo worth investigating. :) Bamboo Sourcery also writes that Ph. nigra 'Megurochiku' is drought resistant.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

That's good to know and probably one for us to avoid.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
sfrangu

Post by sfrangu »

I don't live in the desert, not near the low or high desert. I live in one of the valleys around LA where is hot during summer and we have mild, wonderful winters. It's hotter than on the coast. They have cooler winters there even not being that far away form us. I've read about D. strictus too, so I might just try that one. Thanks for all the input.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Lindz, how are your moso seedlings come along? Did you get any mutations?
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

terrabamboo wrote:Lindz, how are your moso seedlings come along? Did you get any mutations?
It may be a bit early to tell about the mutations, but hopefully they are already showing some signs. If nothing else they might be vigorous, that feature is essential :)