P. Japonica 'Arrow Bamboo' seeds -trade for clumping bamboo?

Moderator: needmore

sporkandbeans
Location info: 0

P. Japonica 'Arrow Bamboo' seeds -trade for clumping bamboo?

Post by sporkandbeans »

I've collected about 50 seeds from my 14 year old grove of flowering Pseudosasa japonica and wonder if anyone would like to trade a piece of clumping bamboo for them? I'm in Northwest Georgia and have had good luck with Alphonse Karr, so I'd love to try something else.

Jeremy
Tarzanus

Re: P. Japonica 'Arrow Bamboo' seeds -trade for clumping bam

Post by Tarzanus »

Are you sure seeds are viable? P. japonica is known to flower occasionally, but as far as I know, they won't produce viable seeds.
sporkandbeans

Post by sporkandbeans »

Nope. No clue if they're viable or not...

It's the first time this grove has flowered, so I've not had a chance to try any. I collected another 20 yesterday that had dropped to some sheets I laid out on the ground.

They're plumpers! Image
Jeremy
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Try germinating them. They should start very fast when fresh. Photo of the seeds perhaps? I have a bit of bamboo seedling growing deprivation :lol:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Those sure look like good seed! It's important to sow them while fresh... although I don't know exactly what that means. A couple of weeks? Longer?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

These look great, well developed! Congrats!
Fresh as up to a couple of months. 6 months possibly a year in the fridge. After that, some bamboos lose viability completely like Moso, some can still sprout but with low germination rate.
sporkandbeans

Post by sporkandbeans »

Sorry, I keep having issues linking photos to this site. I thought Google or OneDrive would suffice, but problems persist. It's likely me, though.

Is short-term storage in the fridge considered the best way to keep them for a few weeks? They're in a little plastic bottle with a silica pack for now.

I don't know what I'll end up doing with them, but I'll keep collecting while the gettin' is good. Can I assume the grove I took these plants from years ago is flowering, as well? I may drive by there and see if I can spy it..
Jeremy
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

sporkandbeans wrote:Is short-term storage in the fridge considered the best way to keep them for a few weeks?
For a few weeks, don't even bother, if you don't mean to sow them soon, then yes, place them into the fridge when the seeds are properly dry.
sporkandbeans wrote:Can I assume the grove I took these plants from years ago is flowering, as well?
Possibly bot not likely. Pseudosasa japonica is flowering from time to time and it's not gregarious flowering like with many bamboos, it happens sporadically. I have one and I've never seen it flower.