BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:47 pm 

Just curious if anyone has had good success with growing bamboo in the high desert region of central Oregon, Bend, Redmond, and Prineville? Particularly interested in any clumping types that can tolerate part to full afternoon sun. Watering won't be a factor and I can heavily mulch the planting area if it helps. I would like to grow a type that can get to at least 8 feet tall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm 

jayclev wrote:
Just curious if anyone has had good success with growing bamboo in the high desert region of central Oregon, Bend, Redmond, and Prineville? Particularly interested in any clumping types that can tolerate part to full afternoon sun. Watering won't be a factor and I can heavily mulch the planting area if it helps. I would like to grow a type that can get to at least 8 feet tall.

May I suggest the Fargesia Scabrida? Looks like hardy to Zone 5 (seems you're in 6B). It's clumping and gets fairly tall.
https://www.bambooworld.com/bamboo/bamb ... a-scabrida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:27 pm 

Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific 35 miles S. of San Jose
Contact Tradewinds Bamboo on the Gold Coast of Oregon. Gib would have good input, Rgds

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:37 pm 

For a zone 5 (Bend is in Zone 5) bamboo species hardiness list, look here at Bamboo Garden:

http://www.bamboogarden.com/cold%20hardy%20bamboo.html

Of these, I have Phy. nuda, Far Rufa, Far. Scabrida, Far. robusta, several types of Phy aureosulcata (Harbin, Harbin Inversa, and Yellow Groove), and 2 Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou' II available and established in pots for sale at my nursery. I am just over Mt Hood up Hwy 26 in Sandy, OR. If interested... I sell boos for cheap. Less than half the price of BG. No mites. Happy plants.